Learn about ALS
Country
NL
State
brabant
City
eindhoven
hi

I don't know where to begin to be honest. I've been feeling very tired lately for the pas year but didn't think to much about it because I didn't do much sports anymore and I am a pretty lazy person + I smoked a lot.

But last beginning from this month it started with a heavy headache like there was a lot if pressure on my skull. So I kinda waited it out but it continued for like a week. medication didn't seem to help. So went to the GP and she didn't find anything abnormal and did some blood tests( those we're all fine btw). So I started freaking out because I also remembered having muscle fasciculations and tremors. So first I thought I had a braintumor or somthing so the GP referred me to the hospital for a CT-scan with contr. and it came back all fine so that was a big relief. But I still was feeling very tired and fatigue. So I had a lot of things checked and was very stressed because I was constantly checking everything and questioning my health. I also developed a breathing problem, first it came and went away but now i'm having it 24/7. It's like i'm not able to breath in hard enough. And it's like breathing isn't going automatic anymore but you have to make an efford with every breath you take it's an horrible focus that's making everything much worse right now. So is it possible that ALS can effect your breathing muscles so fast before any other body parts? Then again went back to the GP and she told me because everything looked fine it was a form a chronic hyperventilation with the stress and anxiety lately. But I don't really believe it because i'm not breathing to much. I told her to refer me to a neuro. And she did some test which we're all good and she told me she saw I was under a lot off stress and thought it was also chronic hyperventilation.
She told me to go to a specialized relaxation-therapist to try and get that breathing under control. So I made the appointment and i'm still on the waiting list, I have to wait for 3 weeks so it's really hard for me atm. I also went to the pneumologist and had my lungs checked because I also smoked a lot ( i've stopped for 2 weeks now) and everything was looked fine, also had a scan made. So started to look around on the internet and found ALS.. better that I dind't but here I am.

But i'm also been experiencing that i'm very tired and it's not like a mental tiredness but really my muscles, my left arm seems weaker but then again it's my bad arm so I maybe thought it's not abnormal.. but i'm getting tired from doing the most simple things like going up the stairs or even brushing my teeth.. I've also went jogging a couple of times to see how my body would react, i'm getting tired almost after 10 minutes it's really abnormal.. I'm kinda hoping it's anxiety or depression and that my mind is playing tricks on me but i'm constantly thinking it's ALS .After things weren't getting any better went back to the GP and told her I was afraid of ALS, she calmed me down and called the neuro to get an emg for me to relax me, and i'm getting one in 2 weeks so i'm so worried every day about what the results will be... i'm trying to stay positive but it's very hard atm also bacause this breathing problem isn't improving. It's hard for me to get some sleep the last weeks. i've also have a lot of muscle fasciculations lately.. I know it's not a sign off ALS, I've had fasciculations all my life and used to laugh about them and show my friends but these ones seem diffrent and less active then the ones i'm had before.. I also have a strange feeling on my right legg like theres ants walking under my skin. I'm also thinking it's hard for the docters to see my problems because they're not as noticable as they should be. And because i'm still very young for this desease (i'm a 21-year old male). I'm trying to stay on the right track here but it's so hard atm.. It's like they allready diagnosed me..I wake an every day and start checking my motor skills it's like i'm turning
in some crazy hypochonriac. Two moths age I was fine, never went to the GP maybe once each year. Now all I do is walking from this Docter to the next...

Anyway thx for listening and i'm hoping for some advice that can keep me from stressing all the time.. sry for the bad english btw, I'm from holland.

aaron.

The internet is a dangerous place. It does not sound as though you have ALS, of course I am not a Doctor. You said you were lazy and had smoked heavily but you are suprised that you are tired after jogging for 10 minutes? If you really think you have an issue see a Dr because that is the only person who be able to diagnose you but honestly it does not sound as though you have ALS.

Yes it could be that i'm totally out of shape but I doubt that. I just have the feeling my body isn't recuperating..When I get up I still have the
same lvl of fatigue that I had the day before.. Just those breathing problems are the worst.. from when I wake till I go to sleep, and they're severe when I go for a run.. I'm trying to deal with it instead off walking to the doc every day but it's hard.. I'll c how it progresses.

hiya, like all diagnoses you start with a baseline - and certainly for als. your decline will be measured against this to help with diagnosis. get a spirometry [breath volume / strength] done, get a strength test done, reflexes, gene test and anything else the neuro suggests. my diagnosis was fast [3 mths to probable] because my disease symptoms were fast. as my left arm seemed weaker, my breathing became much weaker - in 6 mths i have lost 60% breathing capacity in my diaphragm not my lungs - its the next 6 months i dont look forward to. i smoke heavily but even with this my lungs are still 96% efficient - just cant get enough air in.
my muscle electrical tests were normal except for my left arm - june 2010. my power chair is coming next week. dont keep stressing about it - get out there and get the best diagnosis you can for now. stress will only make it worse.

Well i've had a spirometry done last week. And the doc said everything looked even better then normal, exept for one thing that he reffered to my smoking habit, how can you test your diaphragm-strenght? ... reflexes we're also good. And the neuro did some simple strenght-tests. The other stuff will follow.

hi maybe i can offer some support . . I read your post with some interest because your symptoms mirror mine quite closely. . I can sympathise with you because breathin problems are highly uncomfortable not to mention scary . . In answer to your question can als strike with breathin before limb ? . . Well the answer is yes. . BUT from what i gather its very rare . . Secondly i noticed your age 21 . . That is really young for als . . Not unheard of but again very rare. . Thirdly dont get too hung up on twitches or fasciculation . . They can be induced by a number of things inc stress . . Also be warned how much you can frighten yourself via the internet. . I know its not easy but try to relax . . Good luck with the emg and i hope things turn out good for you. . God bless . . alex

heeeey, glad to hear the good news! spirometry tests volume and force - therefore diaphragm strength [physiology 101 lungs arent muscles, diaphragm contracts so air pressure [newtons law] pushes air in, diaphragm expands [more muscle volume] pushes air out] is the test, and you would be rated againts your age / weight / height. anywhere near 90% is good for a smoker - actually, excellent!.
reflexes good is the best good early sign of not als - not conclusive, but good. so if spirometry good + reflexes good + strength test good = give up smoking to keep running like the wind or keep smoking and be a slug like me!
great news!

should mention - any asthma in the family? dont know much except it can happen anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back