Loved one DX
Country
US
State
mt
City
choteau
Hello all
sorry to ask all of you however this troubles me and has for many years- I lost my father to ALS and i was the caregiver that was in 2003 . At that time i asked to be ckd neurologicly as i was stressin of course- i was twitching all over-everything was fine then-move to early 2006 i have been lifting weights for 3 years and getting very strong-when i suddenly have left side symptoms of numbness,tingling,pain down the main nerves,twitching stiffness and fatigue with signs of weakness but not clinical weakness-deltoid was deffinitley weaker as well as my left hand could not grip as well- had all the tests EMG,NCV,MRI, all came back just fine-however i still had the twitching and fatigue and some weakness- move on to november of 2008- i still have all the left side symptoms but not a s bad as i have quit lifting weights as i cant due to the pain and fatigue as well as it makes my symptoms worse- my PT guy says i have atrophy in my left foot-(this has been a hot spot for fasiculations)-so i go to the my neuro once again he does the EMG on me and said it was clean-from there i went to the Mayo Clinic-i just got those results back(2 years later) -it said clean tests all of the same as above except- i had a tremor in my shoulder girldle (they did not test my left foot) -So here i am today just got another EMG which was all clean except for my left foot- it shows fasiculations (2) in the abductor halucious muscle with nothing else just the fasiculations-she said this was a normal study and quit worrying about ALS - OK this is the same foot that the arch looks atrophied (great) so now what do i do- go with what the neuro said or am i concerned that the fasiculations are where my foot definately has less muscle than my right foot as well as the arch looks to have fallen or is it atrophy- this is the first time any of my EMG's have shown anything-she said fasiculations only with no denervation or innervation-should i be jumping up and down with joy or should i be concerned that the fascis showed- and showed in an area that looks to be atrophied
sorry- i obviously have OCD on this-i just wish they would have chkd me in the left foot at the Mayo 2 years ago so i could compare EMG's
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
David

Yes you should be jumping up and down with joy! Your worry is understandable considering your personal knowledge of ALS. You should believe your doctors. It's not uncommon to have random fasciculations in a muscle show on emg. You have had heaps of opinions now, so take a deep breath. A bit of foot atrophy especially the arch, is not a worry if you have had it all checked. Best of luck.
Aly

Given that you have had numerous neurologists evaluate you over the years, all of whom have given you a clean bill of health . . . I would have to say you are fine. The problems you are having with your arm are clearly not due to denervation because your EMG's have been clean. They are most likely due to some type of injury to the muscles and/or tendons and/or ligaments.

As far as the supposed "atrophy" in your foot: If the EMG was clean in that area, then it isn't muscle atrophy. It is understandable that you are worried about ALS, given what you went through with your father. The fasics mean absolutely nothing in the absence of denervation . . . and wouldn't necessarily mean anything sinister even if you had denervation.

Please listen to your neuro and do your best to move-on with your life. I wish you peace.

Aly and Wright
Thank you for the replies and good common sense and advice- i greatly greatly appreciate the kind words and the "move on with my life" cause i have put alot on hold for fear of all what it might be- like a wedding to my absolutely wonderful girlfriend-expanding my business- gathering my troops and leading the charge- (more like making sure i show them that they have what it takes to be the best they can be) and with that they lead us to our goals and destiny-Thank you both
David

Oh , congratulations!
You have so much to do.All very exciting. I keep putting things off and itsjust silly. I wanted to plant a flax bush at our new house, but decided I may not get to see it grow. How stupid is that!
I just need to stop stressing and getbon with it. I am starting a new part time job when I get back from holiday. Thats what I call moving on!
Best of luck and have a great wedding. Oh to be so young.

Aly
thank you for the kind words and the swift kick in the butt- to get moving on with my plans to ask her- My foot and leg feel worse than ever with pain and fasiculations but i will believe all my numerous tests i have had and yours and Wrights opinions (which i value with great honor) - I will ck back and let you know how it all goes (the asking) thank you Aly -well and im not that young -49
hope to talk to you again
D

Hey I am 49 too. Yes ask her and go get married it's fun. You will not have time to have 5 kids like me.....or will you? Depends on the age of your maybe soon to be wife. Gosh we all assume too much on this forum. You must have sounded young. Hope you find what's causing the pain.
Cheers Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back