Not open for further replies.

sweetlkj

Country
US
State
Tn
City
Cookeville
I am a 36 year old mother of two. I originally posted about a month ago about massive widespread twitches. Well the twitches subsided for about 3 days then came back with violent twitches all over again.( I have had widespread twitches for almost 3 months) THIS time my face started to twitch, my jaw twitched 2 times, my lips are violently twitching . Hard lip twitches and my tongue every now and then. This started 3 days ago. I haven't really noticed any swallowing or speech differences but my son made fun of me today when I tried to say toy I said doy. I mispronounced the word. I have done a couple of words like that. I have a neuro appt in 19 days. It can't come soon enough. Does this sound like ALS or what? There seems to be so many ways to start this disease and the ALS websites are vague. Since this has happened I have placed you kind people in my prayers. I pray for a cure daily. Prayers and blessings!

The quick answer is -- no, it does not sound like ALS. I know it is hard to wait but you will have to wait for your appointment. You should get some good news then.

We are not doctors but probably what you have is benign fasciculation syndrome. I have it for almost four years and have these symptoms like widespread fasciculations, cramps, pins and needles sensations and other things. During all those years I have had many weird things related to my voice too, but I though it was just my mind playing with me. Have you ever had this strange thing with your voice before knowing that it is a symptom of als? I bet you haven't. The most important thing to do is to stay positive and please stay away from internet and don't believe Dr. Google as he likes to play jokes with us, making up diseases from symptoms we have. In fact Dr. Google is the worst doctor I've ever met!

God stay with you!

In my twenties i experienced a long period of excessive twitching all over my body. I went to my primary care doctor and he asked if i was under stress. The answer was "yes". We had a serious illness in the family and I had just gotten married. I remember mentioning it to my sister in law, who is a nurse, and she recommended drinking tonic water because it contains quinine. Well, whether it was the advice of my SIL or the relaxed response of my doctor, the twitches seemed to subside.
Even now, I notice them from time to time but I don't worry. I first noticed them twenty years ago! The more you focus on it, the more you will notice them.

It is good that you are following up with the doctor but I feel confident that you will get a clean bill of health.

Are you prone to worrying about your health? If you are, you may want to look into seeing a therapist for treatment of anxiety. Good luck. i will be thinking of you.

Several years ago, I experienced twitching all over my body (lips, face, legs, arms, hands, etc) for a long period of time, along with extreme fatigue to the point I could barely put one foot in front of the other. I would get through the day at work, come home, and sit in the recliner until bedtime. On weekends the fatigue was so bad I couldn't get out of bed - the problem? -- STRESS! After working through some life happenings, everything leveled out, but it took some time.

I do not have ALS, my dear husband does. It presented with extreme fatigue for him and afterward some slurring, we didn't see or notice twitches for several months later and a doctor pointed them out. That's not to say you can't see or feel them, my husband just didn't. I agree with Le Le, the more you focus on it, the more you will notice. Please try to put your mind at ease and let your doctor diagnose you, not the internet - it will scare you unnecessarily. Please do pray for our PALS who are living a nightmare along with the people that love them. ALS is relentless in it's quest and, for now, triumphant, but people are becoming more aware and more research is being done, and hopefully, one day, it will be stamped out. I hope your neuro visit goes well, and please let us know the outcome. Blessings.

Hi,
I have been having fasciculations for 3 years and 3 months. In my case they too started in very stressful period of my life. I have had better and worse episodes, some days I did not notice them at all.
I also have tongue twitches from time to time (every few days).

ALL CREDIT GOES TO DOUBLED, for the very good info.

So are those twitches and muscle cramps ALS or something harmless like BFS?....ALS is very RARE, so don't get freaked out just yet. read the following info based on patient-neuro conversations.

I discussed this extensively with my own neuro, and I'll put his credentials up against just about anyone's. He started, and still heads, a neurologicial association in a large medical center here in Houston. He went to Baylor College of Medicine, worked for several years at the Mayo, and serves on the AMA policy board. This is the 4th largest city in the country and his association sees a significant portion of the ALS cases that occur here every year.
First off, he saw lots of visible twitches throughout my body. No big deal, according to him. In fact, the only reason he gave me an EMG was because of my reflexes, which were slightly brisk. The twitches meant nothing to him.
I asked him to explain to me what an ALS twitch was like, and we ended up in a discussion of fascics and myokymia (I have both). This is coming from memory, so I'll try my best to tell it as I remember it.
In ALS, the nerves located in small fiber of a muscle begin to lose their connection. As such, they begin a process of slight fasciculation, which is like a distress signal for another nerve to come to it's rescue and reinervate. ALS twitching starts out very fine, and pretty much invisible to the naked eye. However, since these affected muscle fibers are no longer working well, you tend to notice weakness and possibly slight atrophy before you ever notice twitching. The comment about ALS twitching not coming and going is very true, according to him. Once this muscle gets cut off, unless it reinervates, it continues to rhythmically (important, meaning steady and constant) send out these distress signals harder and harder and more frequently. It doesn't stop until complete muscle death, which, by then, you won't need twitches to tell you something is horribly wrong. This is important, because the nerves around it have also begun to lose their connection and are beginning to fasciculate (thus, no new nerve supply can come to the rescue). That means progression of twitching--from a very small localized area with very fine,steady fascics that you cannot even feel or see to a larger group with more intense twitching.
My neuro sees ALS patients come into his office complaining of, say, visible atrophy in their hand. They don't notice the twitching. He then begins to ask them questions about noticeable weakness, and they often say things like "well, now that you mention it, I've been having trouble opening jars." He then puts their hand under a black light (or whatever it was--can't remember) and shows them the fascics.
I think a conclusion can be drawn from what he has told me. ALS twitches are likely incapable of being noticed early on as the muscle is dying, but the resultant weakness and atrophy are not. Sure, when the weakness progresses to affect large areas of surrounding muscle, the twitching becomes intense and noticeable, but by that time, you are having all kinds of physical problems.
If anything, visible twitches are the least likely for concern, because by the time they are visible and thumping, if you have no real weakness, it's benign. But this is also not to say the invisible ones are ALS, either, because I've had very fine twitches in places like my neck and elbow and foot for 2 years now. You don't denerve for two full years and not notice things like not being able to lift your arm or not being able to keep yourself up on both feet. My calves have been visibly ballistic for 2 years straight, and no weakness and no atrophy. In fact, at this point, this intense twitching in my calves actually REASSURES me of a benign condition!
The point I'm trying to make is that whether you can see your twitches or not, you still can't make any conlusions. Everyone twitches. Everyone. Some more than others. What you should watch for are things like falling down constantly or atrophying limbs--and even THEN you are likely not to be diagnosed with it (another story, but I know a girl who has had severe weakness and atrophy in her hand for years and the doctors have definitively ruled out ALS, saying they think it's a viral infection of the brain stem).
Myokymia differs from fascics because there is no nerve (in our case, probably an inflamed nerve) involved in the muscle movement. It is a sort of a wormlike movement of the muscle fiber, and is in no way indicative of anything even remotely serious. Perfectly healthy people have myokymia from time to time. I can describe it best as a rumbling feeling (usually in my quad or hamstring) that rumbles for maybe a few seconds and then goes away.
Now, onto something else. I spoke to a family member this weekend who has long been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and FIBROMYALGIA, and she said her symptoms are twitching, being easily fatigued, muscle soreness, and muscle stiffness (especially in the morning). Sounds a lot like what I have and I suspect a lot like what others here have. It's an inflammation of the nerves in her body, and maybe that is why some here have noticed decreased twitching when taking things like anti-inflammatories.
I'm sure someone will read this and freak out. Just try and remember that if you are already twitching, without serious (the kind of weakness that TELLS you you are weak, not the kind that makes you wonder if you are) weakness and muscle wasting, each day is a day on your side and a confirmation of the benign condition we've been diagnosed with. I asked my neuro in a 12 month follow-up if my twitches from the year prior were ALS-related, would I definitely be having serious muscle weakness, etc., by then and he gave me a very resounding "definitely." It's just a waiting game, really, but it's one where time is on your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back