Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
fl
City
debary
Ok.. Can I just start over really quick.. I have new symptoms and also symptoms that i didnt mention because I didnt think they were anything:

~Twitching in the back part of my shoulder for over a month
~Now twitching all over
~cramp in the arch of my foot
~cramp in my jaws that started about 5 days ago that comes and goes (these are really bad, but like I said just comes and goes)

I never mentioned the cramp/pain feeling in my jaw because it comes and goes. but I thought maybe I should mention it to you.

Now with all of this.. does this sound like ALS or not sound like the EARLY symptoms of ALS?

After this answer I promise I will not bother you guys anymore.

And if you wouldnt mind if you answer such as no that doesnt sound like ALS could you say it like "no that doesnt sound like early symptoms of ALS because....."

Thank you so much. And again I promise you once this is answered I will stay off this board. Unless obviously I wind up going to the dr. and he thinks I have ALS

Chrissy

No, that does not sound like the start of ALS . . . because . . . ALS does not start in such a global fashion (you state you have twitching all over your body).

No, that does not sound like the start of ALS . . . because . . . you now state you have symptoms in your limbs and your bulbar region at the same time. Once again, ALS does not start in such a global fashion.

What you have is an irritated nerve . . . most likely from your accident . . . that is causing the twitching in your shoulder. The twitching you then noticed all over your body is due to anxiety and a greater self-awareness of your body, all thanks to the "research" you have done on the internet. The cramping is probably due to your lack of sleep, lack of eating well and anxiety.

How you feel that you can self-diagnose yourself with a disease that you obviously know nothing about, baffles me. Why it is you picked ALS to diagnose yourself with, as opposed to the most obvious of things (e.g. what I stated above), baffles me as well.

Just because a horse has 4 legs and a tail . . . just like a dog . . . doesn't make that horse, a dog. Stop trying to convince yourself that your "horse" is a "dog" because from what you have told us, it is not.

Now I do believe it's time for you to get off of the internet. Enjoy your family and your life and do something for the ALS cause. I wish you peace.

P.S. Your doctor isn't going to even entertain the thought of ALS . . . I assure you . . . unless of course you bring it up. Look closely at his or her eyes if and when you do.

Chrissy,

Read this:
AboutBFS.com • View topic - BFS in a nutshell

To answer your question, first let me say that twitching & cramping (whether it exists or not) is not even part of the criteria used to diagnose ALS.

Some people do have cramps and twitching along with other initial symptoms. The cramps are severe charlie horse cramps, and can be in legs, abdomen, hands, wherever. That said, there are many many many other causes for this same thing. ALS is not even considered unless there are other IMPORTANT symptoms happening at the same time.

If, (for example) you were having difficulty doing things that before you never gave a thought to because of weakness, or an inability because of decreased coordination, then, the twitching and cramps could be interpreted to have more meaning.

AND, if you had this weakness or miscoordination, it would be in ONE PLACE of your body, a hand that kept dropping things, and became weak, a foot that began to drag, or was tripping you up. You found things you normally lifted without a second thought, were now hard/impossible to lift/hold. It would not be that your legs felt a little weak, its not how they FEEL its how a leg, or hand, functions. You'd realize you'd already been compensating for the weakness, without even have given it conscious thought, because the weakness comes on so slow and insidious.

The only place you are going to be able to get answers to your specific health status, is from a qualified doctor who examines you in person. You've said you don't have health insurance, and cannot get in to see a neuro. Well, what about just a general internist? All doctors know how to check someone's reflexes (yours would be way off if you were in the beginning stages of ALS), and test a person's balance, and strength. That kind of doctor could assess if you perhaps did have some sort of injury related problem from the little accident you were in.

My best advise is to get off of the internet, and try not to focus on whether a part of you has cramped or twitched recently. Put all of the energy you're expending into this, into something you have the ability to make a difference with, something you are in control of. For all you know, rather than a fender bender, next time when driving to the grocery, you could be hit by a semi truck which swerved just at the wrong moment! We only have NOW. None of us have a promise of tomorrow.

Tonight, you could be sitting there waiting for the next twitch, or cramp, or diligently searching via the internet for other remote possibility cases which turned out to be ALS or another dire disease; and because you were busy doing this, you missed out on the important things in daily life, the important "first" one of your children accomplishes, or just making a memory for not only you to remember later on, but for your child to always have to remember as well. (BTW my recipe for homemade playdoh is over on the recipes forum, and your kids are just the right age!)

So, do what you can now, to create memories for when you're twice your age. It may not seem like it, but these really are the best days. I would not trade that time in my life with my kids for all of the money in the world and perfect health. Mind control is important, so dwell on what matters.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Wright I can not thank you enough. you just made my life a much happier place! Thank you again!

Rose! I can not thank you enough for your incredible and thoughtful response to me! All of you here are so incredibly fantastic I can not say enough good things about you all!

Thanks to you guys I am able to move on with my life and I owe it all to you guys!

I am sitting here right now in sooo much pain (with my jaw) its just horrible pain! but I am not sitting here with horrible fear that it is because of ASL. I was able to think clearly and figure out that it is obviously from the stress that I have put myself under because of this crazy fear. (I did use dr. Google for this one with a positive outcome this time :) Its called TMJ and it commonly affects women in their 20's and 30's and one major reason is its brought on by stress.

Also the most amazing thing happened. Since your guy's response to me my shoulder has not twitched once that I have noticed! I have felt little twitches here and there around my body .. but nothing like what it was!

Thanks again guys! You are providing an invaluable service to so many people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back