Country
US
State
fl
City
miami
Hope all of you are enjoyong your weekend,

I would like to ask, those of you who know,
If Als starts in the finger (cant move finger), during the progression stage, does the weakness work its way in any specific order or does it spread in sequence, Finger, hand, forearm, upper arm, ect?

Can it go from a weak finger to a weak thigh?

Thankyou

I have never heard of ALS starting in a finger. Maybe you have carpal tunnel syndrome. My husband has ALS, and the only problem he has with fingers is that they lock up. If you giggled finger weakness, and were sent here, you are in the wrong place. This the way I describe weakness, Imagine your body is a tire with a slow leak. There is no way to fix the leak, it slowly leaks out, and eventually you get a flat tire, ie can not move anything. Note I said eventually, because this is a gradual process.

Hi,

I cant button my shirt, as I have no movement in my thumb. My Dr told me als can begin & usually does begin this way, however at this time does not think I have als.

I've been feeling weak in the thigh & wanted to know about the sequence of weakness progressing for this reason. Would weakness jump around like that if it were due to als?

Thank you

Yes, it could possible jump around like that if it were ALS>

I think it would progress to the other fingers first, but I really do not know. With my husband it started with his upper right side,(shoulder) then (a yr later) started progressing to his upper left side. His was shoulder weakness first, then progressing to fingers locking up. In the meantime, he had issues with not being able to (excuse the language) hack a lugie, and when talking, sounding drunk. Do not worry about this over a couple of small weakness spots. This is a very rare disease, let the doctors worry about what it is, and enjoy yourself until they figure it out. We did not find out what my husband had until it was very obvious. We thought a stroke or something, but since we had no insurance, we did not go to the doctor. Once we did go, we had a verbal DX in 20 minutes. Admitted to hospital for 7 days to rule everything else out, then sent home with ALS DX. It would have done us no good to stress about what if for the 2 yrs before his DX. If it is there, It will come. It is probably not ALS, so enjoy your life. If it is ALS, the doctors will tell you, not the people on this forum. HUGS Lori

Thank you! How long after the first sign of weakness would I notice other symptoms? I realize this is a vague question but if anyone has any helpful answers, Id appreciate it.

My finger has been weak for 3 months now, where I cant move it. Yes, I did have an emg of that arm & it was good but Im still concerned.

My Dr said to me that if it were als I would notice something/more symptoms by now & that I'd be in a whealchair after a year. OBVIOUSLY that is just NOT true. I know that from reading here & from other literature.

Would more weakness be obvious elsewhere or twitches or anything? I simply have a finger that wont move.

Sorry for my frustration, Thank you very much.

have you seen an orthopedic? is it weak or stiff? If it is stiff and you have no other symptoms you could have trigger finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back