Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
I am a 24 year old female.

About 3 months ago I started having muscle twitching which began in my scalp and spread throughout every part of my body except my left arm and leg. Coupled with this, I would also have what felt like squeezing of my muscles in my neck and upper back. This squeezing was very painful. Then just as mysteriously as it came, it left.

About 2 and half weeks ago now the twitching comes back and so does the pain in my back and shoulders. Then that pain spread to my right arm and leg. With that I have been feeling disoriented sometimes and losing my train of thought in the middle of some sentences. Then about 2 Sundays ago I started feeling a dull weakness in my right arm. When you squeeze it, it hurts. The pain also traveled to my fingers. Now it's in my left arm. Sometime last week, my tongue started feeling heavy/stiff (think a lisp) and my jaw physically clenches occasionally, making it impossible sometimes to get my words out. This has happened a handful of times. Coupled with the clenching of my jaw, my neck will also clench, and once, my hands clenched as well. Now, where the squeezing of my back and neck muscles took place, it sometimes feels like I have something crawling underneath my skin.

Swallowing was difficult for about 3 days, because the muscles in my neck felt like they were squeezing. Also, I have felt like my whole body was heavy or being weighted down. There is also the heat I was talking about in my neck and the back of my head. There have been headaches in the base of my skull with sharp shooting pains and dizziness and disorientation. Here's where the confusion comes in.

About a month and a half ago, I got an MRI (before everything picked up) and it came back fine. I have had sooo many blood tests done, I can't even and they came back fine. I'm going to the neurologist on Friday but it's literally like torture having to wait so long. Especially with all of these symptoms going into hyperdrive in such a short span of time. I still can type, etc, but sometimes I jerk and so does my finger. Or it shakes (spazzes out).

My questions are, can you feel muscle weakness or does it just happen? Like do you just notice one day, you can't pick up a pen or do some of the things you use to. Can you feel muscle atrophy or does it just happen? What type of difficulty do you have swallowing? Is it a squeezing sensation or no? Do your muscles squeeze when you have ALS?

I'm very much scared, I feel I can't talk to anyone, and I don't know what to do. I'm 24 years old and I took the whole week off of my internship. My parents are telling me to go in today, but my fingers/hands/etc aren't cooperating. I suffer from anxiety so they think that's all this is. I WISH that's all it was. Maybe I'm like the boy who cried wolf, because now they won't take me seriously.

RESPONSES WILL BE HELPFUL!

I am a 24 year old female.

About 3 months ago I started having muscle twitching which began in my scalp and spread throughout every part of my body except my left arm and leg. Coupled with this, I would also have what felt like squeezing of my muscles in my neck and upper back. This squeezing was very painful. Then just as mysteriously as it came, it left.

About 2 and half weeks ago now the twitching comes back and so does the pain in my back and shoulders. Then that pain spread to my right arm and leg. With that I have been feeling disoriented sometimes and losing my train of thought in the middle of some sentences. Then about 2 Sundays ago I started feeling a dull weakness in my right arm. When you squeeze it, it hurts. The pain also traveled to my fingers. Now it's in my left arm. Sometime last week, my tongue started feeling heavy/stiff (think a lisp) and my jaw physically clenches occasionally, making it impossible sometimes to get my words out. This has happened a handful of times. Coupled with the clenching of my jaw, my neck will also clench, and once, my hands clenched as well. Now, where the squeezing of my back and neck muscles took place, it sometimes feels like I have something crawling underneath my skin.

Swallowing was difficult for about 3 days, because the muscles in my neck felt like they were squeezing. Also, I have felt like my whole body was heavy or being weighted down. There is also the heat I was talking about in my neck and the back of my head. There have been headaches in the base of my skull with sharp shooting pains and dizziness and disorientation. Here's where the confusion comes in.

About a month and a half ago, I got an MRI (before everything picked up) and it came back fine. I have had sooo many blood tests done, I can't even and they came back fine. I'm going to the neurologist on Friday but it's literally like torture having to wait so long. Especially with all of these symptoms going into hyperdrive in such a short span of time. I still can type, etc, but sometimes I jerk and so does my finger. Or it shakes (spazzes out).

My questions are, can you feel muscle weakness or does it just happen? Like do you just notice one day, you can't pick up a pen or do some of the things you use to. Can you feel muscle atrophy or does it just happen? What type of difficulty do you have swallowing? Is it a squeezing sensation or no? Do your muscles squeeze when you have ALS?

I'm very much scared, I feel I can't talk to anyone, and I don't know what to do. I'm 24 years old and I took the whole week off of my internship. My parents are telling me to go in today, but my fingers/hands/etc aren't cooperating. I suffer from anxiety so they think that's all this is. I WISH that's all it was. Maybe I'm like the boy who cried wolf, because now they won't take me seriously.

RESPONSES WILL BE HELPFUL!

From what I understand, pain is usually not associated with ALS. Plus, it doesn't appear throughout all your body at once. It starts in one area and slowly moves around to other parts of your body. Does not seem like ALS to me.

Do you drink a lot of caffeine by any chance?

no i don't drink caffeine.

is there anyone else who has more knowledge of this disease that can shed any light on what i'm experincing?

None of the symptoms you describe are associated with ALS. You posted this today and it's torture to wait until tomorrow to see a neurologist? Please take a deep breath and calm down.

Jakv,
We all understand the anxiety of the unknown..trust me..we've either BEEN there, or ARE there. Diagnosing neurolgical illness/disease is often a slow process. I've never heard of pain being a primary issue with ALS, and the other symptoms are similar for MANY other possibilities. . Anxiety absolutely makes the twitches worse. My stepdaughter has twitches throughout her body ( for2 years now-she's only 21) and they ultimately diagnosed her with Epstein-Barre, and that was AFTER 2 years of testing, blood tests, neuro appts. AND-her anxiety made her symptoms worse. Her anxiety and refusal to take the medications they recommended only made things worse.

In other words, don't be your worst enemy. Practice the anxiety management techniques you know and as hard as it may be, do yourself a huge favor, and stay off google and fill your mind with positive energy.

Peace and Serenity to you,
Melody

The story you presented is not the story of someone with ALS . . . not even close. Why?

The quick-onset of symptoms in a global manner . . . the fact that they come and go . . . disorientation . . . . losing your train of thought, etc. I will assume that your anxiety went into overdrive when you "googled" twitching and ALS was hit. Twitching happens for a gazillion different reasons and is not in any way used as a criterion in diagnosing ALS. Relax and let your docs determine what is happening with you.

hi there folks. i went to my internship, so yay for me not letting anxious thoughts alter my life too much. i'm almost done for the day and decided to take a look see as to what ppl had to say.

well first, my appointment is NEXT friday, so sorry for seeming so desperate. when the twitiching started 3 months ago i googled it and came back with als. i let it go at first, but then it spread throughout my body pretty quickly mingled with this weird pain and feeling like muscles were (i don't know how else to describe it) deflating. if that seems ridiculous then fine, but that's the only way to describe it. my muscles are doing SOMETHING, just don't know the proper words to use. no muscle weakness though. however, now that it's back, the twicthing is not only worse, but there is what i would call weakness. i'm concerned about that. that and the muscle jerking/spazzing and clenching. i'm worried that if i do have anything (not just als) but a true neurological something, my anxiety is clouding it. it's very hard to distinguish what's really real and what's real caused by anxiety.

thanks for reading, understanding and responding. i've had anxiety half my life and if this is what it is, i'm shocked because it's never manifested itself this way before.

if anything new arises or causes me concern i'll come back. you guys are more helpful than some doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back