Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
9 months ago a foot started dragging and I started falling. Now that leg is pretty useless and the other has started to weaken and I get cramps when I use my arm muscles. Walking even with two sticks is hard and exhausting
Recently I have been coughing (dry cough) a lot and often my voice goes rough and I use words I did not intend to use.
But I thought this kind of malady would spread gradually - not present all over the place at once like this. Is it likely that the cough and voice are nothing to do with the arms and legs problem or does it really come in all over the body like this?
Not diagnosed yet - waiting for EMG IN january after other tests showed nothing particular
Irismarie

I does move gradually , but it can be in many places at the same time. Everyone is a little different.

Thank you so much for your reply. It clarifies things

With some people the symptoms can stay confined to one particular area for a long period of time, e.g. an arm, leg, bulbar region (mouth). Symptoms can move up and down or across (arm to leg, leg to arm, leg to leg etc.). The onset of the disease can also be in several regions at once, but is usually most prominent in one region (e.g. speech difficulty, with mild arm weakness).

My understanding is that regardless of whether your symptoms appear in one region or many, what matters is a rate of progression. For example, some people start with upper and lower limbs in an almost simultaneous fashion, but are slow progressors, and things take time to develop. Others may start with symptoms in one region only, only for rapidly develop the sympoms elsewhere. And the other way around.

All the best, Dani

I think that the frustration is that there is no "normal" rate of progression. Have they done all the standard tests to r/o ALS and you are just waiting for the EMG and NCS? The time waiting to have a diagnosed seems like eternity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back