Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
oz
State
oz
City
RURAL
One of the "Bucket List" items is taking our little guy to Disney World. We have promised him for years that we would go but never had enough time or money. Now we have time and the money....I still have a credit card :shock::smile: We live in South Dakota so will need to fly and are planning on taking him out of school the first week in November. [cheaper fares and not so much of a problem with snow then] Can anyone tell me where would be the best place for us to make arrangements for a motel and how much time we should take for the once in a lifetime Disney World experience?! What kind of pass should we purchase for Disney World? DH and I will not be able to go on many of the rides. What else is a must see? It is so difficult to plan when you have never been there before and there are soooo many motels to choose from that I do not know where to begin and I need to finalize it very quickly! Thanks for any input!

Indigo, good for you! We are in the same position as you, we never seem to have the time and money to do any trips. I am sorry that I can't give you any advice about Disney world except to say that you will have a great time. My wife and I went there in 1983 (a lifetime ago) and it was a really nice trip, we saw DisneyWorld, Epcot Centre (which had just opened) and then went to Kennedy Space Centre. We also drove down to Key West, all in all a fabulous trip. I'm sure that others here can give you more concrete advice than me, all I can say is that I am glad that you are taking the opportunity!

Barry

Indigosd, Are you in a wheelchair, or need special accomodations?

I know there are some great deals to be had now as far as staying at the Disney hotels. I'll have to look for the info and will post it when I find it! Staying on the property ( in one of the WDW hotels is the most fun, since this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for you ) is what I would suggest. Are you going to go to WDW in Florida, or to Disney World in California? A multi-day, multi-park pass is the way to go. It give you the freedom to come and go from whichever parks you want on any given day. If you get tired and need to go back to your hotel and rest, you can do that and return later. You can move from park to park depending on how you feel and what interests you, withough feeling like you have to stay all day ( and late into the night ) to get your money's worth from a one-day pass to one park. I have been multiple times to WDW in Florida and can tell you that the staff are very helpful to anyone needing special help getting on the rides. People in wheelchairs, etc don't have to wait in the lines ( staff keep their eyes peeled ) and are usually plucked out and taken to the front. If help is needed with transfers into the rides, staff will assist. Wheelcharis are available for rent I believe, too. There is a very good guide book that gives tips on how to get the most out of your Disney visit, describes all the rides, restaurants, etc. It is called ( Geez I can't remember now! ) The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. When I locate the info on getting hotel deals I'll post it for you, but I *know I've seen some good ones!

Debbie

p.s. I just noticed all the typos in my post! I'll proof read next time!

Debbie

I knew I could count on my new ALS family to help me problem solve the trip! xxooxxx Pamnandy, DH is not currently in a wc and that is why we are trying to go ASAP! I on the other hand, wickedly sprained both of my ankles on 1 July and have only been without the walker IN THE HOUSE for 5 days! :] My left ankle is still giving me fits, probably due to the fact that I have fractured it twice and this is # 12 sprain. Our poor little guy has had quite the summer with his parents... We are going to Disney World in Orlando, Florida. KinzaDAF, I will so being looking forward to your information! BarryG, I just love all of your supportive posts to me.

OK, we're going to Disneyland first week of October and here's what I can tell you that would carry over to all parks: I'd go ahead and rent a wheelchair early in the day (they tend to run out otherwise.) Just walking around the parks can be tiring for the healthiest visitor.. if you have the chair, , YOU can use it to get around the park, or you guys can trade off depending who needs the rest. Totally agree that the multi-day pass is the way to go. You have in/out priveleges, and can go back to the hotel for a rest mid day if you need to.

We'll be staying at the Disneyland Hotel at the park.. primarily because we always used to stay at the cheap motels outside the park and say "someday we should stat AT the park!" and... well... it's someday!

Go to disney.com and poke around the website... there is a TON of information! They have a whole booklet for "disabled visitors" that's on the site.. I believe in pdf.

And don't hesitate to call Disney.. they are there to help!

indigosd....I am a little confused...twice you mention,,,the little guy...Is the little guy ill or just having a bad time as a result of someone in the family having ALS, If the little guy is ill...and I hope not...you might want to search Give Kids The World Kissimmee. Although we live in London we have had several homes in Kissimmee for 20 years and the Kids Village is down the road, giving seriously ill children and families (to my knowlege) a free break. I think it is only for a week. It is a lovely place,

Jennifer, our little guy is 12 and healthy THANK THE GOOD LORD but dealing with his Daddy's ALS and my accident this summer has been very difficult fo rhim. So many changes in his life and so abruptly. What I really need is someone to give me a recommendation of a hotel inside Disney World Orlando. It seems like that is what we should do and get a multiple pass for multiple days. Anybody have suggestions?

You need to see a travel agent that specializes in Disney trips. To fully get the lifetime experience, this is your best bet. I used AAA and they met exactly what my needs were. (For example, it was no big deal for us to use a shuttle to go to and from the motel. You, on the other hand, might want one that has more ready access. i.e. the French Quarter has the option of boats and the monorail). A travel agent will help you make the best choices for passes, food plans, accomodations, and the plane trip to and from. For example, did you know that Disney will take care of your luggage...you don't have to go and get it at the airport. They will, and then it will appear in your room! Very cool! Keep us posted!

If you book your WDW hotel stay by October 3rd ( I also read to book by 9-27. ) you can get a discount of 35% at the moderate priced hotels, and 25% at the value hotels. Staying on the property will indeed get you free transportation to and from the airport, which is *nice! Disney is also giving free dining plans ( what kind depends on what price level hotel you stay at ) for stays anytime from 9-27-09 to 12-17-09. when you book at stay of at least three nights at a WDW hotel and get at least a basic park ticket if you book by September 26th. As far as *which hotel to stay at...I'd just see where they'll give you the best deal, BUT...the monorail goes right through the Contemporary Resort, so you wouldn't have to even leave your hotel to get access to it! I stayed at Ft. Wilderness once and loved it.

If working with a travel agent, tell them to give the code EQR to the Disney people. When you *do talk to the Disney people, just explain your physical needs and ask for what helps can be provided. I second Katie C's recommendation to rent a wheelchair ASAP after entering the parks! You will be so glad you did. Staffers at all the rides will assist you, and will likely pull you out of line and move you to the front. As they love to say at WDW "Have a Magical Day!"

Debbie

I posted a reply but it contains a link and a WDW phone number so it is awaiting approval of the moderator before being visible, but just quickly...the monorail runs right through the Contemporary Resort, which would be very convenient for you. You wouldn't have to travel out of the hotel to get on the monorail and have access to all the parks.

Debbie

Gigantic Heartfelt THANK YOU'S! DH has appt for PFT's this afternoon [2 hour commute] so will see if Ican line something up befor we leave.
Debbie, you are an Angel!

I stayed at the Disney All Star Movie Resort it was very nice with a huge swimming pool. They also have All Star Sports Resort, All Star Music Resort and Pop Century Resort. All with a cute theme and affordable. The bus comes and picks you up and takes you to whatever theme park you want to go to. Have a great time! Universal Studio's is a fantastic place for a kid as well!

The All Star resorts are great, but its a looonnng walk from your room to the food or shuttle, unless you specify your needs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back