Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Tiskilwa
Hello all... my husband has been on a bipap mach. since early Feb. this year. We have had nothing but troubles with the masks. The generic mask that they gave us at first pinched a nerve in the side of his nose...he would wake up to the painful sensation of his upper lip being numb. They gave us a refit...he next got a 'gel mask.' At first this seemed to be the answer. Shortly after we started using this one he started having problems with the bridge of his nose. We have tried to re-adjust the mask, shift the mask. and 'mole skin' on the mask. Nothing we try seems to be helping. We even tried a round cosmetic pad under the bridge portion of the mask (cut down in size and whole). He now has a blood blister forming on the bridge of his nose...I'm out if ideas....he has to wear the mask ..but I can't seem to find a way to stop the pain. This is soooo frustrating for both of us. He's in pain and I can't seem to find anything to help him.

If any of you guys have any ideas or tricks that you have used to some success..PLEASE let me know! Thank you so much.

God Bless!:grin:

Have you tried Vaseline around the problem areas of pressure? I've heard that could help.

Also, there are nose pillow type masks instead of the big face mask. Is the mask sized appropriately? Maybe he needs to go up a size?

Sorry I can't be of much help on this one.

Hi Cris,

I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with this. I had trouble with my first mask which was provided by the RT of the home care company providing my machine. It did not even come close to fitting, I then ordered (on my own) from an internet site which had an online measuring tool which was very easy to input the information into, and it gave a choice of masks that would work for my facial dimensions.... We don't add links on this forum that could be construed as advertising, but if you put in "cpap headgear" into your computer search engine, several sites will pop up, and its easy to find the one which offers the facial fit calculator (or whatever they call it) I have a photo album on my profile page about the bi-pap and related problems, ~ I think you need a few more posts before you're able, as a new member, to view photo albums though. One thing I discovered that was very helpful for the bridge of my nose, and only decided it to try it after a problem I created myself by tightening the straps too tightly one night, is the silicone gel sheeting. I wish I could remember the company that makes what I have, its left over from when I'd had a mole removed and there was a large incision, so my dermatologist had me get it for the healing process. It was packaged as a smallish,, about 4X6" rectangle, (you cut out the shape needed from it) seems like different sized sheets were available, and does not need adhesive to stay in place, is washable and can be re-used for an extended period of time. ... Anyway, when I hurt the skin under my nose with the mask by accident, I tried this for padding, and it helped tremendously, so the last two nights I've added a little strip on the bridge of my nose as well. Its great, and does not interfere with the seal of the mask. So, this might be an option, also, try different adjustments for the straps on his mask, I've found tightening the lower ones, and loosening the upper ones works best for my face....

Hi Cris - my experience was similar to yours and to those described. The first mask left me with a large painful sore on the bridge of my nose. I too went out on the internet to find something better. Once I found the mask I thought would work, it covers my mouth but has nasal pillows and nothing touches the bridge of my nose, my provider was able to get it for me. Took my nose a couple months to heal and I have a nice scar but no more pain. Keep trying, it really is on you to do the leg work and find the right solution. Best of luck.
Dan

thanks so much for the input..will give the gel pad and internet searches a lot of time. we tried so cortizone cream tonite w/ a gauze pad for a lack of anything better. It took awhile to get it right for the mask to seal...but he seems to be resting well for now.

jimercat...I accepted you 'friend request but can't do anything else yet....your pals was DX at about the same time as mine...was yours a bulbar onset or limb?

cris,

My husband was diagnosed with bulbar/limb onset.

It is increasingly difficult to understand him. His arms and hands are just about gone.

I wish you and your husband the best in this journey!

I hope you will continue to visit and post to the forum. We can use the input!

Hi cris, if you post a couple of more messages, you will get full access.

AL.

I don't have any idea's for you.. But do wish some company would look into these masks.. and make more options for us.. My Mom has been on the machine for about a year now.. and her problem is size.. she is on a kids mask now.. and every time we take it off her, there is a leakage problem.. Maybe we all need to sign a letter to the company and get a better selecction of masks made for our family members..:confused:

I can't advise you on anything to do with the bipap. My mother refuses to even try one. Hope you can find some help from others here that do use on successfully.

My Dad tried 5 different masks before he found one that worked for him. The DME company was very good about switching them out for him and letting him try different masks. Also just wanted to say that the pulmonary doc says the masks needs to fit and trying to accommodate the mask with pads and such means you have the wrong mask. He also noted the techs at the sleep lab have a variety of masks on hand to try and usually people are best fitted while at the sleep study. I imagine your hubby has already had a sleep study since he has his bipap but thought the sleep study tech may be a resource to contact.

A new product--a full face mask.

Hi cris, and others who might be interested,
I, too, went through the same problems. How I hated the nose/mouth mask.
But, about 1 1/2 years ago, while in the hospital, a resp. tech. saw I was having problems, and getting sore, plus I have a goatee, which didn't help with the seal.
So, he said there was a brand new product out, that they only had 5 in the hospital, and was going to try it on me.
It is a full-face mask, that starts at your forehead, and goes down under your chin. Kind-of like a halloween mask, only it is clear plastic, so you can see through it. And it has that "mole-skin", tiny, slim sheet of plastic all the way around the whole mask, to make the seal tight. I used it then for the rest of the time while in the hospital, and now have one at home. No more sores or problems!
Even with the supply company who owns my Bi-pap, it was new to them, and they had to dig into info about it, and eventually got me one. And now, they even did one better, in that it is now a lighter plastic, and even clearer to see through. The R.T. with the company supplying me the bi-pap, still says that not alot of people still know about it yet.
The force of the bi-pap still pushes the air in, and you breathe out normally. It is SO much more comfortable now.
The only thing is that the noise level seems little louder, so I just turn up my TV, while watching in bed.
A person with a fear of small places might not like it...BUT I SURE DO.
Hope this helps.
KEDASO
(Ken)

Reading through this thread sure has brought back memories of my days with my bipap. ....LOL.
I found that after awhile I built up callouses and the pain stopped.

I LOVE my trache and vent as all these issues and the uncomfort of masks are a thing of the past!

My wife uses the two small nose pillow mask with her BIPAP. She adjusted to it very quickly. It was a good move for her since normal breathing had become a daily issue for her.

My husband just got the mask and feels the pressure is too high and is not able to use it until he gets it readjusted. Has anyone else has this problem in the beginning. Bev

Hi Bev.

Yes, I had that problem but just started changing adjustments until it was comfortable.

It did not take long to get it to where it was very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back