lynster

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
OR
City
Pacific Northwest
It came up last night - Should we get a Medic Alert bracelet for my husband? Then, what should it say? ALS is fine, but how do we say: "No! Don't put him on his back without assisted breathing?!" Any ideas?

Thanks for your input.
Lynn

Hi, Lynn ... I think the bracelet is a great idea. There are commercial services that give you bracelets to wear, and a phone number where paramedics/doctors can call for more information. But those services require monthly payments, I think.

How about getting a bracelet and on one side 'ALS" and your phone number, and on the other side, "see wallet card." You can write out specific instructions on a wallet card, along with a list of his meds, etc.

Just a thought.
BethU

Thanks, Beth!
Great idea!

Lynn

I had gotten my dad both a bracelet and a necklace while he still lived alone but couldn't speak & was falling more frequently. It said "I have ALS - I am DNR, call my daughter Sandy" and then my number. He also had wallet cards and a big one to keep in his car that summarized his condition and said to call me. Fortunately I never got any calls from these because soon after I got them he didn't want to leave the house unless someone was with him.

I think that they are a great idea, they provide peace of mind and yes, you can have your cell number on them so you can always be reached!

That is a great idea! Would it be a good idea to get a "dog tag" made with all the info on it even if my dad is in the slow progression and is just now loosing his left arm to go along with his right? Just a thought.

Hi, Heather ... I think it's a great idea, and the sooner the better, because if he's in an accident, or has another medical problem crop up, medics or doctors will need to know of his underlying more serious condition and take that into account when they treat him.

BethU

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back