Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
I grabbed a moment of my own today, and it truely surprised me where.

Traveling through who knows what town on the way home form Colorado to NC, a 5 day trip for us these days, we stopped for gas and a potty break, and I had an epiphany.

I rushed into the rest room, and when I exited the stall I was irritated that the paper towel dispenser wasn't working. Grabbing a towel and drying on the run is faster than the blow dryers. I pushed the dryer button and it suddenly occurred to me that I could capture the moment for me.

I stood still, perhaps for the first time today, and just felt the warm air while watching it blow each drop off of my hands. It only lasted a moment, but it was ALL MINE. The warm air was there for ME. I stayed until I was done. I practically left my reality it was so wonderful. Brief, but wonderful.

Walking through the the isles of things tha travelers need, it occurred to me that it's a relief to not have to take him into the restroom anymore. Condom fathers and a sort of schedule for poop, and these stops are easier.

Grab a quick moment for yourself and let us read about it.

Becky
Queen of the Silver Lining (today)

So happy that you were able to enjoy your random moment, which are rare. Hope there are more coming your way.

Hugs,
Joan

Now I'm never going to be able to use a public restroom dryer without thinking of you Nuts. I can imagine if anyone else walks in they will wonder why I would have a silly grin on my face at a time like this!

I must admit I used to sit too long on the loo sometimes at home just to have a moment. It was one of the few things I could leave Chris to do without evoking a negative response.

I have had some of those breif moments, but not in a public restroom. Your post made me chuckle! TY! I try to take the time to give myself brief "mental breaks" / i.e., "Mindfulness". I look at the drops of moisture or morning dew caught in a spider web. I try to do deep breathing while I feel the breeze against my skin. I try to watch the colors in the evening sky as they change. These moments may only be a minute or two, but are supposedly very healthy for one's mind. If nothing else, it helps to ground me to the beauty in the world amidst all of the chaos that is ALS.

We have a drive way with a somewhat steep slope. Sometimes when I come home, I like to pause for a minute and feel the gravity against my back. I gather my thoughts before I walk in the house and face reality.

And yes, I often find myself contemplating life, the universe and everything while sitting on the toilet. That's right about the time my wife yells for me and I snap back to reality.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back