Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Cape Coral
Well it's time to vent again. It seems like there is some appointment of some kind every day. Thank God that I only work occasionally. I don't know how you people with FT jobs do it all. My PALS keeps FB messaging me for this and that. I can barely take a shower or eat some days. Then I have my 19 year old who works 45 min - 1 hour away and she just got her license but doesn't have enough experience to drive all of that distance and all that is involved. So guess who takes her to work and picks her up M-F every day? You got it. She also goes to college FT locally so doesn't have time to help me. We tried that on Saturday, when I had to work...and all she did was complain. You guys aren't kidding when you say for the most part that the caregiver is on his/her own. Plus I have my 95 year old father to keep an eye on. We have one home health aide coming in for when I work on Fridays now. But the rest of the time it's whatever the PALS wants, or my father asks for something. Absolutely no "me" time anymore, and it will only get worse as the ALS progresses. I am a Christian and I am a firm believer that we are in the great tribulation on earth. I can only imagine how the PALS feels. A social worker told me that it's a race for whether the ALS will get the caregiver or the PALS first. Now I know what she means! So far she is the ONLY one other than you folks who understands the caregivers' plight. While it is about the PALS ultimately, we are people too and have needs that are not just NICE TO HAVE but are necessities..like basic showering, eating, and just getting out of the house. Thank God my wife the PALS has a best friend who comes and takes my wife out. She is only visiting the area though and doesnt live FT in FL. Someone tell me that it will be OK. Because I know that's a lie. I need help around here, and not just chin music! There I vented. Thanks all, I appreciate you all reading and listening. No family or friends locally to help, just MOI.

UGH!!! ALS Sucks... I wish I had some words of wisdom.

Me, I would tell the 19-year old that the price of her chauffeur service is to help out when needed without complaining, or she can find another job closer to home.

Best,
Laurie

So....I would suggest a couple things. If your child will not help with her mom, she can mow, grocery shop, run errands, etc. She is living at jome for free right? Being part of a family needs to mean you help each other.

Secondly, If you have a lanai, I would try to sit out there for a few minutes each morning and have a cup of coffee. Do some deep breathing while you hear the birds.

Alternately if uour pals can get out, a stroll in a park might be good or a movie. I realize you still have the responsibility but it is out of the house.

T one point I felt like I was going to need to pad the walls.

An hour away, and you drive both ways twice a day (to take her and bring her home)? Oh no...I'd tell her the price of living at home is helping without complaining and that she absolutely must get a job closer. I wish I had more. I don't know how you can care for all of them.

I do work full time but am fortunate in that it is my business. Last summer, I moved the business home. The time spent taking my PALS back and forth to work each day became mine. Stress reduced tremendously. For me, time is my most necessary commodity. I only smile when my lovely PALS puts something more on my list of things to do... especially when it is something that falls well below more pressing demands for my time. I used to give up sleep time to compensate for the ever increasing work load. But that only made me less efficient and able. I now make sure I get no less than 7 hours of sleep... and often up to 8. I do what I can do in the time that I have to do it. If it doesn't get done, it gets readjusted into the next days priorities. It Is What It Is (miss you, Max). We do what we can.

I hope you're able to work through your priorities and can find things to change that help you regain some semblance of control. Only you know what you need to make this work. Figure it out... make some adjustments... get to feeling better. Everyone benefits.

My best!

Jim

Most every CALS shares your experience. It's okay to vent, throw things, break things, etc. Just try not to do it in front of your PALS. I do not believe it is humanly possible for one person to care for a PALS after a certain stage. It requires a team, and it takes work to build and manage that team, but it must be done.

I seem to recall in an earlier post you said you have Medicare. You should check out http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ALS-MAP-Webinar-2.pdf relating to Medicare home health benefit for ALS patients. Basically, it says there is a federal statute that places a 35 hour per week limit on skilled nursing and home health aide care, and each daily visit must be less than 8 hours. (Not enough, IMHO, but maybe more than you are getting right now.) Here is the text from the key slide:

How Much and How Long
Can Care Be Covered?
- Up to 28 to 35 hours per week combined of nursing and home health aide services (Medicare Act: 42 USC 1395x(m))
- In practice, difficult to find an agency to provide
- And PT, ST, OT as medically necessary and reasonable
- Note: OT can qualify as the skilled service to continue coverage, but not to trigger it
- No duration of time limit. Coverage is available so long as skilled care required. Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chap. 7, §40.1.1

Here is the text of 42 USC 1395x(m):

Home health services The term “home health services” means the following items and services furnished to an individual, who is under the care of a physician, by a home health agency or by others under arrangements with them made by such agency, under a plan (for furnishing such items and services to such individual) established and periodically reviewed by a physician, which items and services are, except as provided in paragraph (7), provided on a visiting basis in a place of residence used as such individual’s home—
(1) part-time or intermittent nursing care provided by or under the supervision of a registered professional nurse;
(2) physical or occupational therapy or speech-language pathology services;
(3) medical social services under the direction of a physician;
(4) to the extent permitted in regulations, part-time or intermittent services of a home health aide who has successfully completed a training program approved by the Secretary;
(5) medical supplies (including catheters, catheter supplies, ostomy bags, and supplies related to ostomy care, and a covered osteoporosis drug (as defined in subsection (kk) of this section), but excluding other drugs and biologicals) and durable medical equipment while under such a plan;
(6) in the case of a home health agency which is affiliated or under common control with a hospital, medical services provided by an intern or resident-in-training of such hospital, under a teaching program of such hospital approved as provided in the last sentence of subsection (b) of this section; and
(7) any of the foregoing items and services which are provided on an outpatient basis, under arrangements made by the home health agency, at a hospital or skilled nursing facility, or at a rehabilitation center which meets such standards as may be prescribed in regulations, and—
(A) the furnishing of which involves the use of equipment of such a nature that the items and services cannot readily be made available to the individual in such place of residence, or
(B) which are furnished at such facility while he is there to receive any such item or service described in clause (A), but not including transportation of the individual in connection with any such item or service;
excluding, however, any item or service if it would not be included under subsection (b) of this section if furnished to an inpatient of a hospital. For purposes of paragraphs (1) and (4), the term “part-time or intermittent services” means skilled nursing and home health aide services furnished any number of days per week as long as they are furnished (combined) less than 8 hours each day and 28 or fewer hours each week (or, subject to review on a case-by-case basis as to the need for care, less than 8 hours each day and 35 or fewer hours per week). For purposes of sections 1395f(a)(2)(C) and 1395n(a)(2)(A) of this title, “intermittent” means skilled nursing care that is either provided or needed on fewer than 7 days each week, or less than 8 hours of each day for periods of 21 days or less (with extensions in exceptional circumstances when the need for additional care is finite and predictable).

Thanks to all - and especially Jim - for their wise comments. What Jim said rings true......unreasonable demands can and do happen and must be dealt with somehow. I had a bad day yesterday and another bad one today. I need to force myself to find a way to get away before I go completely crazy, as this disease is only getting worse by the day. What is incredibly frustrating is the PALS seemingly diminished empathy, as well as family who thinks - as does my PALS - that I complain too much. And I get no offers for help and I do realize I will not get any. No one wants any part of this, and I can't say as I blame them. I will figure out some way to get time to myself, as I am an introvert and can't survive without it.

Perhaps your PALS is clinically depressed and it manifests as diminished empathy. I know this disease has changed my cheerful personality. I try hard to be nice but sometimes my internal chaos from this illness gets the better of me.

Hi there Soakland.. I'm a full time caregiver for my Father and I FEEL your pain. I've broken down a few times over this 7 month period of caring for my Father.. Everyone else seems to be carrying on with their lives and I've given up what feels like everything. Setting boundaries is HUGE.. I've communicated with my Father and Mother that I will help with urgent needs but I NEED to eat breakfast, sleep min 5 hours, and I have set aside 1-3 PM where I can read. This doesn't mean I don't help with water/make lunch but I'm also not at his disposal. A huge liberator for BOTH of us has been the introduction of his Tobii Eye Gaze machine.. It allows him to email, text, and watch netflix so I can do other things.

Although it won't be easy it sounds like you need to have a real conversation with your family about your limits and some ideas on what can be improved. You can't possibly be the caregiver for your whole family... Either someone needs to step up or you may need to hire some help.. OR a combo of both.

It's a constant struggle and sometimes we forget to ask for help when we're drowning.. Feed your spirituality, and make a list of things that make you happy.. Try incorporating them into your life. I unapologetically sing every night in the shower now.

Keep your head up

Audri

Jim, as always, has a wonderfully worded response.

Those additional requests--I wish I had Jim's patience. I find myself rolling my eyes and saying yes, I'll put that on the end of the list, or--do you want that done before the other things you've requested?

My guy was incredible--he could accomplish in a day what would take most weeks--so he has trouble understanding my limitations.

Me, I need 8 hours plus of sleep and a bit of down time each day. Some days it seems that there's no point in pushing myself because when I clear a bunch of things on "the list", he just asks about those other things not finished. I adore him, and he still takes care of me in many ways, but I do have more limits than he would have had had our places been reversed.

Big hugs.

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back