Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Well, he says it's number 8. I've stopped counting.

No kidding, he fell asleep at the wheel--err--joystick while walking the dog and woke up to feel himself going over the edge and into another ditch.

I was outside working and didn't hear the phone when he called, so he called a neighbor who came and got me. We got the chair out from under him and straightened him out, and then called EMS. I'm done rolling the Hoyer down the street to pick him up.

Unfortunately, he has a very bad pain in his ribs when he breaths out (worse laying down than sitting up). He just had exrays and a cat scan of the head and we are waiting on results.

ARGH

Oh, yes, I DID take a picture again . It doesn't want to upload right now, so I'll add that later.

Becky

Oh, Becky! Hope it is only a bruised rib. Thinking of you guys!

Becky I'm so sorry. I can remember the time, DH took off in his chair. He was already vented. Turns out he was fine and talking to our neighbor who is an ER physican and his wife, who is a nurse. All I could picture was the vent falling off the chair and pulling off of the trach and him unable to breathe or speak. At least they are enjoying themselves. Hopefully he is not hurt too badly.

Hugs,

Sue

Good news--nothing is broken or fractured. He's sore and tired and I think he's looking at a day in bed tomorrow. As soon as they round up a crew to move him back to the chair we're out of here and on our way home.

This man is sooooo lucky.

Once he's settled I think I'll open a bottle of wine and take it into the bathtub with me...
Becky

Oh Becky... neither of you need or deserve this. [The next I say entirely within the framework of "a friend who would do anything to help"] I would SO wish to be close enough to be the "pour man" and the "keeper of the candles". And for Matt, I'd be at his side finding those many things to talk about that would move his mind to lighter things and help create this night's "good place to be"!

My best, dear friends!

Jim

Sorry about the fall.

I went to the ER a couple of weeks back for some bad pain in the lower left back. I told them about my breathing problems, but they proceeded to lay me flat om my back to take the CT or MRI (I cant remember which one it was) and left me there for quite a while even after saying that they wouldn't. I felt like I might suffocate and there wasn't a thing I could do.

How very scary for you.

So happy to hear that he had no serious injuries. Hoping he recovers from the ordeal quickly.

Hugs to you,
Joan

So sorry Becky. I am so happy he is ok. Taking a glass of wine into the tub is a great idea. I did this very same thing today after Steve took a fall in the shower.

Sorry but here is what came out of my mouth as opened the thread with trepidation - oh holy f*(k. I just knew it was going to be your thread!!

So glad there isn't a broken rib there, that man has been so lucky to escape these tipovers without more serious injuries, but enough is enough. 8 makes cool sunglasses on a smiley, but 9 just makes a stupid face so tell Matt he has reached maximum and no more are allowed PERIOD.

I totally believe a bottle of wine and a bath (drink water first or you will dehydrate!) is the perfect way to recover for you!!!

Taking a glass of wine into the tub is a great idea. I did this very same thing today after Steve took a fall in the shower.

OK you HAVE to start a new thread and talk this one through too!

God bless you, Becky. You are the best! You deserve so much more than a warm bath and a glass of wine.

I am really sorry to read about yet another tip over, but equally glad to hear he was not seriously injured.

Wheelchairs can be dangerous things. They give us back a large measure of freedom, but can inflict pain and suffering (as several of us have found out).

His repeated tip overs lead me to wonder about the stability of his PWC. I know that I picked a Permobil C500 vs their C300 in large part because of the C500's greater stability.

While I have had many adventures, have holes in the wall, and had Xrays due to incidents with my PWC, I have not yet tipped it over.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Steve

Steve, I absolutely think the C300 is not stable enough for him, especially on this property. He tried for the 500 but gave up the fight because of the size and limited space in the house. Of course, if he'd stay on the asphalt in that chair he'd probably be ok!

Asphalt? Hmmm;)

I can understand. I do about half my outdoor riding on dirt.

The C300 and C500 have been replaced by the F3 and F5, respectively. I find the F3 to be even less stable than the C300.

Steve

Hearing that the new model is less stable is not encouraging.

He has the V6, but for a quick walk with the dog it takes too much energy most days to transfer him back and forth.

Flag ground would also be good....we don't have much of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back