Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
ct
City
stratford
I woke up with a cold and I'm so afraid that my husband will catch it. I'm sure he's already been exposed to it. Should I wear a mask?

I would. But probably more important wash your hands a ton ( use disposable means to dry them) and disinfect everything! New toothbrush for him now. Keep yours separate and change it when you are better. Colds are,as you know, a big deal for PALS. My sister survived a number of them but it was a cold that killed her

Thanks so much for the information and I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. That is so scary.

I'm so nervous and no one else seems to think it's a big deal because they don't understand how serious this could be. I came to work because it's better to be here than to be around him. Sounds so selfish to my co-workers but I'm not the only one to do this. Jay wanted me to stay with him and lay down with him. Not sure if he's not taking it seriously either or if he really doesn't care if he gets sick. He told me the other day that he's just done.

It is so hard. My sister's respiratory status was pretty poor at the end. As I said she fought off colds a number of times ( school age child in house) before. It sounds like Jay is less advanced if you can leave him alone? Sorry to scare you but the clinics are not kidding when they say avoid sick people!

No, he's with our caregiver. He cannot be alone at all. We have a caregiver four hours in the morning and I go into the office. My job lets me work at home in the afternoon because he can't be alone. He was diagnosed two years ago. He has no use of his arms, can walk a little if I stand behind him and walk with him just a short distance. He now has a very hard time chewing. The biggest problem is the mucus. It's getting worse so I have suction him a lot during the night. That's what I'm so afraid. Thanks so much for your replies.

jays wife - there are meds you can get to help with the mucous. We started DH on Robinul a few months ago and it works really well. You can also try Benadryl which doesn't need a prescription. I'd suggest getting the children's and giving him that small dose before bed and see if that helps. There are others too. Some like a scope patch, but that was too drying for my DH as was atropine drops. And I keep a box of masks in the house, you can get them at Walmart or the drug store. I always where one when I have a cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back