Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
I'm doing it, I'm actually getting away by myself next weekend! Our daughter is coming to stay with hubby and his brother is on tap if she needs any backup. She's coming in Friday night and I'm leaving Saturday morning and returning Monday. I have no particular destination in mind--I might just drive until I'm tired and then stop and sleep until I wake. I've decided against visiting anyone--I think I just want to be alone.

NUTS, i am so jealous. I just wanted a couple hrs this morning to sit, drink some coffee and chill. I ended up in urgent care with my son who cut his hand badly. I envy you getting a couple of days. I think I would sleep a lot of it away on a beach.

Oh how timely, I was going to bug you about that today!

Don't drive too far, enjoy the driving then stop before you are too tired so you can relax a little before starting a good long sleep ... and whatever you need. Make sure you treat yourself like you treat your best friend!

I am so relieved and happy that you can get away for a couple of days. There are so many wonderful places in North Carolina to do that. Peace and rest Nuts, peace and rest.

I can only dream of getting away but plz enjoy your get away! I fell like you've won the lottery congratulations!

Love that you are doing this Becky! I hope you get some good rest and relaxation!

It'll be good for hubby too; when my CALS goes away, I realise what he does for me and appreciate him even more!

Enjoy the break and treat yourself - you deserve it.

Tillie, I knew you were about to say something :). Thank you, my friend. You do help give us the strength to turn thoughts into reality.

Oh Gooseberry, I'm sooooo sorry. I think it's harder to have these things happen when you've set your heart on a little time to yourself. Isn't it amazing how precious a couple of hours has become?

I feel like such a baby sometimes. I have only my husband and dog to care for, while so many others are still raising children and working. Maybe that's why I started out hovering--because I could. I just recently realized that it's been two years the end of this month, and one of those full time (since he lost the use of his legs). The two years before this all started I was caring for mom and wishing that Matt and I had more time together. LOL, be careful what you ask for. He's now reached the point that he can't move his legs in the bed at all, and his arms are weakening. He told me he had trouble controlling his fork just recently. He eats, swallows, and speaks fine, so I see the day approaching when I will be feeding him. I'm so grateful for this time to get away and I wish that I could take you each with me.

Now I've just got to find that darn lot cell phone or get it replaced. ICK. But this is small stuff--it just takes some of that precious time.

So, let's hope this time off helps me reset and get ready for the next phase. I need to get my sense of humor back. I need to miss being here so that I don't wish to be away.

Oh I wish we could ALL do this!

Becky

Ah Becky, that is why I wish I could teleport! Amazon, walmart various sites sell tiles or trackers. you can attach them to keys etc. Then you use a bluetooth device to find them. It sounds a beeping noise...at least the one I use. They are under ten dollars

Hope your time to yourself is restorative, Becky. And no one who stays the course quality-wise as a CALS is a baby.

Refresh!
--Laurie

Have a lovely time!

Enjoy your time away Becky. Everyone needs time to relax and recharge,

Yay for Becky!!
Gooseberry Im like you. Im much better if I can have my cup of coffee and a treat before I start the long day. Sometimes I wake up early just to do it.
Im lucky too I get a whole week in March. NO work, No caring, ALL service.

Have fun Becky!

Becky, I'm so glad you are getting away.
Enjoy the recharge!

Steph, how's Julien? Sounds quite frightening.

Steph, I was about to order a pack of trackers just before the phone went missing!! ARGH. I'll get it sorted out and then tag everything.

So I left early Saturday and went straight to the outlet mall with my SIL. She went home from there and I headed to Mt. Airey, NC. I was going to get a hotel and see my step brother and his wife in the morning, but realized I really didn't want to be alone so I called them. She already had the bed ready for me. It was a lovely evening and a fabulous night of sleep (10 hours). We watched a movie Sunday after I realized the quilt store I wanted to visit is closed on Sunday's. LOL...that's ok. I came home Sunday because I realized our daughter had only had 3 hours sleep in 36. She experienced pretty much the full range of what's happening these days, and I'm sure the emotional toll was a bad as the physical one. She told me to say another night, but I'll reserve that for the next time. She was also late getting a school assignment turned in. Oh, and Heidi hadn't gotten a walk in two days.

All in all, I had a GREAT nights sleep and a bunch of hours of just looking after myself, hubby was obviously glad to see me but didn't ask me to come home early, and our daughter says she has a new appreciation for what's going on here and will, I'm sure, share that with her siblings. They are all supportive, but as she says, they just really can't imagine it until they experience it.

Matt is sleeping a lot more these days. I don't know if it's because he's taking pain pills or it's progression, but he says he needs the pills for pain in his hips and legs. I keep checking his o2 and it's not dropping, but our daughter says it's time for attendant controls because he falls asleep in the van when we go anywhere and is so groggy that getting down the hill from the garage and across the very long ramp is dicey at best. I guess I was just slowing accepting...sometimes a fresh look is a good thing. Can we get attendant controls when our PALS can still control the chair, just for those loopey times?

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back