Old 01-23-2015, 02:49 PM #1 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough
Extremely Helpful Member
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough
Default Bad coughing Fit

my husband started coughing last night during dinner --not choking but just had mucous. turned into a complete coughing even that is still going on today. I had him on his trilogy which helped but he is refusing that today. gave him a Benedryl last night and then again this morning. His BP is a little elevated for him 137/95 but his HR is normal for him 95 and his O2 is ok too 94.

Just a little worrisome--wanted to share with ya'll and see if you had any other suggestions. I was thinking of giving him some Muscinex or cough suppressant this evening.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bad coughing Fit

We haven't experienced that Barbie, but Dr. Bedlack did recommend Muscinex for coughing early on. Good luck....
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold

Does he have a cough assist Barbie? If so, I would try that. It helps move the crud out.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:38 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked his temperature Barbie?

Any coughing that starts when eating and persists can cause aspiration and we all know where that leads.

A cough assist would help a lot, but I don't remember you having one. I would be worried about using cough suppressants, if he has anything in his lungs, suppressing the cough is not so good.

A doctor check could be in order, they can pick up crackles and quiet spots early.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

no cough assist...I am not sure he would be open to one. I didn't think about temp--but he didn't feel feverish to me. He says that it is an allergic reaction to my cooking which I think is bull but whatever. I know that some food do irritate him (dairy, pepper) but I don't think anything was used in dinner last night. if he is still feeling bad tomorrow or gets worse tonight I might call the doc.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 PM #6 (permalink)

City: SomewhereNice
State: Texas
LoveMyKids is on a distinguished road
City: SomewhereNice
LoveMyKids is on a distinguished road

We have our own cocktail of things going but I think you could try Guaifenesin (Tussin) on a regular basis - every 4 to 6 hours - followed by water, to keep the drainage thinned out. My understanding is that prevention is the key to keeping all the secretions and mucus thin and under control. Let me know if it would be helpful and I could PM you the combination that we use to fight congestion, respiratory issues.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

I would not be as concerned with what's in his lungs as breaking the irritation cycle, if he is not feverish, you don't hear crackling and his mind is clear. With rest, his ability to clear the plug will be increased.

Some of what we used: Luden cough drops, a cough syrup w/ an expectorant but not a decongestant, papaya chewables, pineapple or lime or lemon juice, things like that. Occasionally, we resorted to oxycodone syrup.

Of course, the Trilogy at its best would help, obviously. If he doesn't want to use it, it's not an improvement over the way he feels without it and therefore (broken record), I would look to tweak the settings, esp. trigger sensitivity and Ti. When the machine is out of synch w/ the person using it, it's worse than nothing.

A personal steam inhaler or room humidifier can help if your air is adding to it (I know, you're in FL, but...)
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

A temp, to me is the key. If he has no temp (use a thermometer as low level pneumonias often only give a slightly elevated temp rather than a fever), then all the ideas given here are worth trying in whatever mix you can get him to accept and agree to. Then keep an eye on how he goes over the next 24 hours.

I do agree with Laurie that a poorly working bipap is worse than nothing.

Do keep us updated Barbie xxxx
Old 01-23-2015, 06:13 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Small town
State: Midwest
Diagnosed: 08/2012
cheerleader is on a distinguished road
City: Small town
State: Midwest
Diagnosed: 08/2012
cheerleader is on a distinguished road

Barbie, if he continues to cough, he could have aspirated something. Please have it checked, especially if he isn't eating much because of the coughing.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:42 AM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pinehurst
Diagnosed: 08/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
MaxEidswick is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member

>ust a little worrisome--wanted to share with ya'll and see if you had any other suggestions. I was thinking of giving him some Muscinex or cough suppressant this evening.

.Daily for me .... albuterol is supppoed to help. me, it is mental realaxation ann concentraston .... 4 x today
Old 01-24-2015, 02:59 AM #11 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Max, with the BP high as Barbie reports, asthma meds that can make the heart work harder are usually not the first resort.

Barbie, how is he doing?
Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 AM #12 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

>Max, with the BP high as Barbie reports, asthma meds

agreed ... makes my heart pound and hands shake
Old 01-24-2015, 08:06 AM #13 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Atypical pneumonia doesn't have a fever always. Also, lots of flu, respiratory viruses right now in FL. It is crazy how many people are ill at work. Thinking of you Barbie.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:05 PM #14 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

How are things Barbie?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM #15 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

He is feeling better today--no coughing at least. last night he read on the net that balsamic vinegar cuts mucous so he drank some(only about a tablespoon)! it actually seemed to help and he settled down about 10 last night. I am thinking though that it gave him the runs because he has had diarrhea 3 times today already! he is tired but at least he is not coughing.

I heard somewhere that warm water or tea with honey and lemon helps to cut the mucous but I forgot until this morning.
Closed Thread

Tags
choking, coughing, night, wanted