01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
My poor husband is in the hospital tonite-

He hasn't gone poo in a week and I have tries every trick in the book. Brought in last nite cause he was having bad cramps and had spent two hours on the pot with no luck. He didn't want to go on but I was done trying on
My own . T he staff actually has been great but all they r doing is the same things I do at home but it costs more lol. I thought there was something magic they would try!

Hey Barbie,

I feel so badly for you both. I pray he has success soon! It's amazing how we take such simple, routine things for granted. ALS is an effective but harsh educator.

Hope things get cleared up soon. He must be in such discomfort!

Phil is so right... We take so much for granted.

Barbie,

I would have thought there would have been a magic poop wand too. At least you know for sure that people who know better than you are taking care of (sh)it :) Oh, I hope he gets relief soon! My husband uses a Foley catheter and has had nothing but problems with it since December when he got it. I jokingly tell him, "here you have this God-awful disease and our almost daily concern centers around your penis! What the heck?!" You gotta find something to laugh about, right? Stay strong warrior princess!

Love and light to you <3

Oh I am feelin' for you and your hubby! Hope things have improved! the things we encounter with this crazy disease are insane and a pain in the butt! Thinking about you! Uffda!

Barbie I an giving my husband miralax every day now when I give him his water. he doesn't know I am giving it to him that often, but after having to manually help him 6 Weeks ago, I just did it. He goes every 2 to 3 days now.

Barbie I hope things are resolved now! Your poor husband and poor you!
In my prayers!
Nikki

Barbie, I hate to hear this but hope things are better by now. Let us hear from you and know that we are thinking of you and hubby.

I sincerely hope your husband is OK and recovering.
Have you tried Miralax for your husband as Sadiemae recommended you?

Carlos

how is your husband doing now Barbie?
I hope they have everything shifted and all is OK

Hey everybody,

What a lovely weekend! LOL.

I do give my husband mirlax almost everyday, and he uses an enema daily as well to get it out. He just cant go without one -- no push strength I guess. I recently added fiber pills daily as well. usually, he will go every other day or so. but last week it just kept stretching out longer and longer--nothing was working. I was giving him double doses of Mirlax, and using several enemas at a time. he was spending so much time on the pot with nothing happening. it was awful! cramping, exhaustion, and nothing to show for it. I tried manually extracting and also gave him calcium citrate. Thursday nite (day 7) he was a mess so we went to the emergency room.

Oh, I wanted to get a home health visit from the doctor, but since my husband wont go to the doc regularly, the doc wont order home health care with out seeing him. (I think the hospital visit convinced him to go to the doc though).

It was irritating, all they did was say yep, cant manually extract--to high (I know that already!) so they give him calcium citrate and a enema (hello, I already did that!). surprise, it didn't work. so they decide to admit him. Husband is saying "lets go home", and I say " so we can come back tomorrow? grrr".

6 tries to get an IV in his arm--he is all bruised up. ( not their fault--his veins are so weak they kept collapsing). On Friday, they give him another soap enema and Lactolase laxative . he gets nausea from it and pukes and feels awful. they won't give him anything to eat so he is weak and miserable. I couldn't believe how awful he looked. it was scary. finally, about 2 hours after the laxative he said he had to poo. 3 times in a row, each one bigger and nastier than the next--Hallelujah ! Saturday we get to go home--and as soon as he is home he has another biggie. Oh happy day!

All in all, I don't ever want to take him back to the hospital. It was exhausting and difficult. I had to stay with him at all times since he could not call the nurses for help and I had to help him pee and feed him and clean him and take care of him. They gave us a script for the lactolase so I will use that as the "big gun" next time and husband has agreed to get a check up with the doc so I can also have a visiting nurse if it happens again.

Oh the fun never ends with ALS!

Glad you've got it sorted this time. Let's hope he doesn't have to come to this difficult point again by following the recommended treatment given at the hospital.

Carlos

Oh Barbie I am so sorry what a nightmare for both of you! You both must be utterly exhausted! Glad you can now get him to the doctor. These days in order to get VNA for a patient a physician has to certify in writing that the patient has been seen by the doctor or an associate (NP or PA) in the last 60 days.
Take care
Nikki

thanks for letting us know Barbie

how awful for you and it must have been scary watching them do things you had done to no avail.

I truly hope you can keep him 'going' now so as not to repeat this kind of hospitalisation!

Barbie just wanted to say Hey, and you have been strong for so long..proud of you. Hope you are taking care of yourself some too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back