Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville Beach
With the loss of my hands and arms I am not much help with transfers. I am still able to stand with support.

From the bed to the wheelchair and bathroom, clothes on, eat, to the PWC, and then from PWC to chair to bathroom, etc........well you get the idea.

My husband is wearing out. His rotator cuff is sprained and tendons in backs of legs are cramping badly. I have a CNA three days a week which gives him a bit of a break but can not afford more often. Have a Hoyer Lift and pivot disk but that takes effort too.

What do you do when your caregiver needs a caregiver?

Do you have kids or neighbors or church friends that can help out Dear Meg?

Please check with your ALSA chapter, your ALS clinic, and/or your local council on aging and see if anyone provides financial assistance for an electric overhead lift system. We found a group in Michigan that is loaning us one as long as we need it. They may also have suggestions for ways to get more in-home assistance. I haven't figured that one out yet, but I'm working on it.

Wishing you the best,

no medicare? seems like you would be eligible for more home health aid support

Medicaide is the one that supplies more in-home long term care hours. Medicare only temporary after a hospitalization unless you're on Hospice.

Sorry your Hubby is having trouble. This is a real problem for those who don't have back-up caregivers.

It may be time to learn about Hoyer lifts.

I meant Dear Mag, not Meg. Stupid fingers...

Mag,

You mentioned hoyer lift and so did Tr. What kind do you have. They do rent the electric ones. Ours is just the hydraulic and until I get my wheelchair I am sort of stuck in the bed or the geri chair. Do you have a social worker, if so check with them.
Good luck and GOD bless,

I know when I was in the nursing home the c n a's used gait belts. They put it around you and they lift you up. I'm a quad and in a pinch it worked.

Mag,

I just posted and left when I scrolled down. Someone is selling their overhead unit. I have heard some banks will give 10 year loans for modifications. But he is selling it for $1,500.00 That might be worth looking into. If not and need mods done to your home,do you have the salkahatchie project in the churches. They are teens an adults who go into peoples homes and do repairs for them free. Labor is free and big companies donate supplies. I'm hoping we get chosen this year.

I hope and pray you get this resolved swiftly.

I pray God will send you a guardian angel, even if its just someone to give out good sound advice

God Bless You

(Your thoughts have inspired me to know exactly what poem to add today, but I’ll not add it here as its very emotional)

Medical lifts are very expensive, my husband fixed up a hoist and it works great my care givers love it they don't lift me and it works as good for us as one of those high priced medical ones. Just go to search put in hoist it should bring up the information.

With practice, the hoyer lift can be used with no injury (or real effort) on the part of the caregiver. The YouTube videos are really good. They show you how to effortlessly use them. If you don't have an electric lift, see if you can get one. This will make life much easier!

Thanks for all the good information. I am going to check everything out. You, my friends, are always so helpful.

We do have a Hoyer Lift and OT will come next week to teach correct usage. Hope it will be easier.
Standing me up long enough to get pants up and down is a big part of the problem.

I have given up my lovely clothes and stylish shoes. Please don't tell me I will have to start wearing muu muus. Pleeease.....

Mag,
Whatever you wear you are still beautiful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back