Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
Rochester
So, it has come time to order the " power chair ".....great, bring it on! But wait, how do we get it into the upper level of our split level entry home? They weigh 300+ pounds! We have the chair lift on both sets of stairs already and have no space for a lift for the chair regardless. Does anybody know of any economical lifts for second stories?
We have a deck off of the second level of our home that we could utilize.

Check with Barry

How spendy was it, if you don't mind me asking. And did any type of insurance assist with cost?

Mine was $5000 and a friend donated the money for it.

AL.

When you say split level, what do you mean? A full blown second story? Or a true split level - 3 to 4 stairs? If you are only talking about 3 - 4 stairs, you could have a ramp built. It is amazing what these power wheel chairs can do! You do not have to adhere to the 1' for every 4" of incline (isn't that the ADA number?). Terry's chair could almost go vertical! (Just kidding, but it was quite incredible!)

Can you put a ramp up to the second floor deck? That might also be an option. Check ADA guidelines though and depending on where you live, zoning ordinances and stuff like that.

I got a partial estimate and we are knocking on the door of$13k plus! That co pant is a a little too rich for our blood.

check with the als association to see what they have in their loan closet. you can also check with the mda. as a last resort, if the funding just isnt there, you can apply for a grant from als guardian angels. Stu does amazing things for PALS and CALS.

When you say split level, what do you mean? A full blown second story? Or a true split level - 3 to 4 stairs? If you are only talking about 3 - 4 stairs, you could have a ramp built. It is amazing what these power wheel chairs can do! You do not have to adhere to the 1' for every 4" of incline (isn't that the ADA number?). Terry's chair could almost go vertical! (Just kidding, but it was quite incredible!)

Actually the ADA number 1:12. I don't think any chair could climb 1:4 without tipping over backwards. You might get away with 1:7 but that would really be pushing the limits.

Mrs C Are you involved in church. If so. Talk to you minister I am sure he can correlate help through the church. I know my husband has donated time and materials through the church to help some of the elderly in our church with taking up carpet and laying tile to ease use of wheel chair. As well as widening of doorways. I know at our church we have not talked to the minister. But several members have given my husband their number saying please call. We can come and sit or take her to doctor. Run errands. Whatever. You need. Believe me you would not be imposing. This is what tiding is all about.
Hugs
Felica

Removed double posting.

So, it has come time to order the " power chair ".....great, bring it on! But wait, how do we get it into the upper level of our split level entry home? They weigh 300+ pounds! We have the chair lift on both sets of stairs already and have no space for a lift for the chair regardless. Does anybody know of any economical lifts for second stories?
We have a deck off of the second level of our home that we could utilize.

\We have a three floor home and when it came time for chairs, lifts and ramps we made things simple by moving my mother to the main level of the house so all we had to do was build a ramp from the porch so we could wheel her to the car for outings. For us it wa way more cost effective than trying to make the entire house accessible since everything she needed was on the main floor of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back