Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
Shinglehouse
As much as we were hoping to avoid Tom getting sick, his slovenly housemate has donated his germs. :x We know that it is just a cold, nothing more serious yet. What meds can he take safely with Rilutek? When should we call the doctor? I am so angry I could just spit! The housemate is also Tom's step-father, but he is such a stinking slob and does nothing to help that I have eliminated the privileged title of step-father when I speak of him. My MIL is rolling in her grave! She yelled at her husband for 7 years to not be so gross when he is ill, but it clearly didn't sink in. Now, he's gone and made a terminally ill person sick. :x:x:x

Give the same things you would anyone with a cold, however .......... I give mom Airborne on the following
... when she has company
... we actually go to a doctor
... someone who comes in often slight idea they
might be sick
... if I feel coldy like

I just give it once a day maybe twice for a couple days, unless its me thats sick then she gets it until for about a week.

If his sputum changes at all call the doctor for an antibiotic, and find a good pulmonologist, this is gonna happen he doesn't live in a bubble, no one does.

Last edited:
Kick him out. Both of his brain cells should be able to figure out why he needs to leave.

Or go. Nice hotel suites cost not much more than rent plus utilties plus cable.

I scrubbed every hand-touched surface several times a day with antibacterials.

Colds are hard to avoid--but be on the lookout for any signs of increasing respiratory symptoms. Call and double check with a doc or at least the pharmacist to see what is safe with the meds he's on.

I agree with Mike--dump the roommate. But, in all honesty, colds are passed long before the sick person even knows they are sick.

Demand that anyone in contact with him use sanitizer, too.

If he's otherwise healthy, he should recuperate from cold in 7-10 days. I can't remember the medicine that's used for colds at the first sign--but it's OTC and the pharmacist will know the name and if it's safe with the ALS meds.

I have a feeling that the slovenly roommate (stepfather) and Tom co-own the house? At any rate if you can't boot the slob, make a "slob-free" zone if at all possible.

I worked briefly at one company that when I walked downstairs (from the 3rd floor to the 2nd floor, imagine doing that now!) to the "ladies" room – disgustingly dirty most of the time – in a centuries old building, I brought a can of Lysol with me, sprayed the handrail, the doorknob, the toilet seat, the sink... generally the air. Now, I'm not a neat freak by any means (you should see my house) but I didn't know who else was in that building, and was determined not to get the flu that year.

Hope he's feeling better soon...

I always feel so worried that my husband will catch a cold from one of my kids or their friends.

Thanks for the advice. He is getting better. He got his BiPAP yesterday and used it for part of the night last night. Because of the amytriptilene (I'm sure that's spelled all wrong), his mouth was just too dry. He is going to try it again tonight with a higher humidity.

As for the house where Tom and the stepfather live, my husband and I own it outright. We bought it last summer with the plan for my MIL and the hubby to live there so they would be really close to us and my MIL could enjoy her grandchildren. Long story short, she passed away very suddenly last September 12. In a way, it's a blessing that she didn't have to see Tom deteriorate so much. THAT would have killed her. However, we're stuck with the icky hubby. We weren't sure if he would stay or not after she died, but evidently, he's loving the rent-free, responsibility-free lifestyle. He made it look like he was going to help out with Tom when Tom came home from the hospital in May, but it became clear that he couldn't do anything without messing up. He put ice cold water directly into Tom's stomach. He put DISHWATER through the tube. Then, he ate most of the food that Tom bought with his food stamps. It's insane. He is dating someone now, so if they decide to get together on a more permanent basis, it can be at her house!

When he is out pack up his things in those big plastic containers put them outside and change the locks. Legally he doesn't have a leg to stand on if there is no rent involved.
If he is power flushing a peg Tom could aspirate.
I would boot him out ASAP.

I seem to remember from earlier posts that she needs to wait until Tom's mother's estate is fully settled before they can evict the other guy's sorry butt

Well, if he is really bad about cleanliness, you could call Adult Services (or whatever they call that in your state) and have them come for a visit on the pretense of some kind of evaluation.

As long as the guy is there, potential for disaster follows, it sounds like. And if he's dating, will he even be around to provide the little, horrible care he is only capable of?

Yeah this is a sad situation. I was in a similar one 2 years ago when I was a fulltime caregiver for my grandmother who has stage 4 breast cancer. My aunt and her kids were always over there trying to get free meals at the house and would bring their germs along with. Not much you can do but try and clean up after they touch everything and make sure that someone 'clean' is handling the terminally ill person's food. Also make sure that he gets a lot of rest after the visits so that the body can have a full chance at fighting whatever way in the air that day. Clorox wipes are my favorite. Quick to use, and quick to dispose :)

I seem to remember from earlier posts that she needs to wait until Tom's mother's estate is fully settled before they can evict the other guy's sorry butt

Yes, that's true. Thank you for remembering that. As if we don't have enough stress to live with, we have this boob, too! We are hoping that he will just move to wherever the lady-friend is and we can be done with him. If there are any more issues, I will have to call someone because he's becoming a health hazard. It's hard to believe an adult can be more immature than any of my five kids.

I took Tom to the ER tonight because he had a fever of 101.5 and has had a cough for a few days. I apologized profusely for being a giant pain in the a$$, but I love him and I care about him. The doctors were great. They said they were glad he came in now and got a baseline xray. He got a script for a cough medicine and a Z-pack to ward off any ickiness that may be brewing in his lungs. I was nervous as all get out, but very thankful that everything turned out okay.

Glad to hear it. I was worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back