11/2009
Country
CA
State
b.c.
City
vernon
any one know about excessive yawning in als

I've learned here that it could be a build up of too much CO2 from diaphragm deterioration (breathing problems) and to be sure to have a sleep study to start with. Sleep study would indicate the need for a cpap or bipap, especially if you aren't getting recuperative sleep.

thank you for the info

Yes...early on in diagnosis..my hubby would have huge exaggerated yawns. We always thought it was a little odd. The yawns were so big that he would often hurt his jaw. That was one of the early weird symptoms...along with insatiable itching.

i dont dispute what has been said- just want to add that my PALS yawns a lot too. but he hasnt been diagnosed recently. in fact, its been almost 9 years. and he has a trache and is on a vent- so i dont think its a CO2 buildup issue.
i dont know why he does this.

It can also be a UMN symptom, a reflex kind of issue.. Definitely a symptom I have heard of pretty often.

Yes, my husband had excessive yawning initially. Now he rarely has those big yawns. Maybe it's something to do with bulbar issues and he's progressed farther and can no longer yawn like that.

I yawn a lot and it's not only when my wife is talking :)

yes big yawns, and my brother is always itchy too, thank you

yes big yawns, and my brother is always itchy too, thank you

My mother is as well. Would the itchiness be due to her low mobility, or is this caused by something else?
It's hard for me to tell if her skin is overly sensitive, or if she's just more quick to be bothered because she can't itch herself.

I have Ya wning fits also. I will yawn 10 times in a matter of minutes, some times to the point I get cramps in my jaw and throat. I am on Cpap but does seem to be worse when I'm tired.

I had yawning episodes early on. In fact they started before my diagnosis but I didn't connect it till I read this thread. I also had itchy skin -- I would scratch myself till I bled.

I don't know why or when these episodes became less frequent but I haven't had a "spurt" of the yawns for about a year and the itching is now limited to my legs instead of all over. (My arms have limited mobility and the legs still move - wonder if it has something to do with the nerves?)

Yes it(itching) probably does have to do with the nerves. Gabapentin(Neurontin) works wonders for this. Joel swore by it, and when my husband went off his briefly, his itching returned. Lyrica is similar to Neurontin, so that may also work if your doc will not prescribe the Neurontin.

My mother is as well. Would the itchiness be due to her low mobility, or is this caused by something else?
It's hard for me to tell if her skin is overly sensitive, or if she's just more quick to be bothered because she can't itch herself.

Might be a little bit of each. Not to mention the changes in hygeine practices that go along with progression in this disease. It can be difficult to find soaps and techniques that assure that parts get properly washed and rinsed.

barry , your to funny. did it hurt when she smack you for saying that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back