Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
alberta
City
calgary
Hello Everyone.
I have been visiting the site for the last few days, and am touched at the warm and kindness of people hearts that I decided this was the best place to look for a bit of support and guidance.
My Grandmother was diagnosed with ALS 2 years ago. Mother's day 2009. She is more than just my grandmother, She is my everything. She raised me since I was an infant, and has kept me safe my whole life. I moved away from her 5 years ago to the other side of the country, and have not been home in almost 4 years..... Thus I have not been with her since she was diagnosed, due to some financial issues and also recently just having a baby. I'm beating myself up and am feeling like a HORRIBLE person that I have not been there and now I fear she has taken a turn for the worse. She was taken to emergency, and has been diagnosed with pneumonia. I'm looking for the first available flight that I can get my hands on and that I can afford.
Can anyone give me some insight as to what pneumonia may mean for her and what are the chances that she will get through this? And maybe a little information as to what to expect when I see her? I'm sorry for the newbie questions I've researched ALS since she has been diagnosed, but I prefer to hear from people with experience.
Thank you so much and god bless you
Carla

You need to do everything possible to get there as soon as possible. Pneumonia is very, very difficult on ALS patients. As to her condition, everyone progresses differently. That's hard to call.

You have found a wonderful forum for support, Welcome! Sorry about your grandma.

It is hard to comment on what might happen to her because of pneumonia, we don't know how much she has progressed or how much her breathing has been compromised. If her breathing is not too bad she should recover just fine. Missy is correct though, pneumonia is hard for ALS patients.

I hope you can find an affordable flight. Keep us posted so we can pray for you and her!

Spend as much time with her as you can. I will pray for you and your grandmother.

I will lift her up in prayer and also that you will find affordable travel.

Thank you all for your prayers, I can't tell you how much that means to me. I have booked a flight leaving tues. Unforunately with her condition the pneumonia may prove to be too much for her.
What a heartwrenching disease this is. My heart goes out to all of you and your loved ones who have been touched by ALS. I can't wait for the day a cure is found.
God bless you all.
Carla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back