Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
maine
City
portland
my mother can no longer be lifted with out 2 people to the toilet. we have a hoyer but because of her bowel incontience we cannot use it for toileting. does she need to go to nursing home now? is there anything I can do. I am a 52 year old woman and I am alone alot with her. we are cleaning constantly.... she can't tell at all when she needs to move her bowels. this was a problem even before the als.

im confused as to why you cannot use the lift? could you explain further please?

Could you keep her in diapers? I wonder if there is a way you could be trained in how to turn her in bed, for instance, with a drawsheet, for cleaning and changing the diapers. Here is a youtube video to watch.YouTube - Diaper Application While Lying

My wife is 63 yrs and I'm 63 also. She have the same problem where she can't move her bowel. I use fleet enema and scheduled her discharge which is a day and a half to relieve her. She is comfortable in that time frame, however, I blender her food so she doesn't choke when I feed her. I select less meat and plenty of fruits and vegetables, especially papaya with a lot of milk to soften her bowel. I use portable potty so as not to burden myself transporting her from one place to the toilet.

We are getting to that point too Sandra. My pals needs to be put on the bed to pull down underwear and pants and then into the lift and onto the commode. Quite a process and sometimes we barely make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back