Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Does anyone understand how to get helpers in the home? Currently, I have a CNA that comes for about an hour every morining to help me get my husband up, bathed and dressed. She started coming when physical and occupational therapy started. Will that stop when we can no longer get recertified for therapy? How do I get some help in here? I know that Medicare will not approve anything without a 3 day hospital stay. I'm checking to see if our private insurance will authorize anything. At this point, I can only leave my husband for about a half and hour at a time (with a whole lot of preparation).

I realize that he receives aid and attendance, but I thought some of that was to compensate for the fact that I can no longer work and take care of him. Maybe I misunderstood the PVA rep.

I would ask the ALSA and VA social worker to start.

I've been trying to get a VA social worker for MONTHS. Unfortunately, ALSA knows nothing about the VA. They will help when it comes time for Hospice. We are in the middle ground I guess. Navigating the VA has been quite a challenge!

I hope all is well with you.

The social worker that recommended home health was the one who did our advanced directive. Our primary doc wrote a script for home health. The VA is a maze, but once we got Carol (our nurse), she calls everyone for us. If she doesnt know the answer, she finds it out.

Maybe the problem stems from the fact that my husband will not talk to anyone about advance directives - no power of attorney, no will, nothing. I am trying to get a social worker to help me address the problem.

I don't believe the POA has anything to do with the home health services except for the likelihood that the VA social worker can provide info for both. When my Dad started his home services, it was ordered by the physician and set up through the clinic. He was approved for personal care and light housekeeping. I don't have much experience as he did not use it long before he passed. I would talk with the clinic - start with the social worker.

You're right, the social worker told us about home health, and we then asked our primary to order it for us. With the VA, they will not tell you what is available, but if you ask for it, they will give it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back