Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
VIRGINIA
City
WOODBRIDGE
My brother, APL55 (or Allan), was having trouble with his breathing yesterday. He wouldn't call an ambulance and I work about an hour from home. He called the woman at MDA and she told him to call his neurologist. He phoned his neurologist, Dr. Scott Vota at V.C.U., to see if this was ALS related. After a couple of hours, the doctor never returned his call. I sent 2 e-mails to him and his nurse finally called Allan to tell him if he was that bad to go to the hospital. I got home last night at 7:45 from work and he said he was doing a little better. He called me on the intercom and said if the phone rings during the night to pick it up because it will be him. I got almost no sleep last night jumping at every noise I heard. I'm so stressed out about this and we haven't gotten to the really debilitating phase of the disease. He has a doctor appointment Friday at VCU that I couldn't take him to. He asked his daughter, who works for a real estate agent, and she told him she can't take Mondays or Fridays off. With what happened yesterday, Allan's pulmonologist has him scheduled for some breathing tests starting at 1:30. Friday is the only day these tests can be done. I work at an automotive dealership and we alternate early days on Friday. I worried that my boss won't let me off to take him and this will put my job in jeopardy. Whenever I tell Allan I can't do something he throws a fit, yet his daughter can say no all the time. I'm very skeptical about her excuse. All this has me stressed beyond belief.

hi was in contact with your brother yesterday. He was kind enough to offer me some support as i too have breathing issues . He sounds like good guy and stubborn as hell when it comes to e r visits. . Sounds like you have inherited the mantle of the go to guy for your brother. . There nothing wrong with feelingi stressed like you do. Before i started displayin symptoms i cared for disabled father (stroke) and it times i too felt like screaming when others didn pull there weight . . You can only do what you can and i am sure you are appreciated . . Take care . . Alex

If he is having that hard of a time breathing the quickest help for him is to call 911 period. You will not be able to help him even if you are standing right there and especially not while you are driving him somewhere. That is what they are there for, use them. If he calls you in distress, you call the aid unit for him.

I am sorry that you have a heavy load, the road will not be easy. It is my experiance that people always say they will help, but when it comes time there are usually only 1-2 who actually will. I hope you have a better day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back