Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
US
State
Nevada
City
Yerington
Portable neurological stimulator, PoNS. Non-invasive! Developed by University of Wisconsin-Madison. Marketing will be done by Helius Medical Technologies. FDA approval should be in 2016. Researcher told me over the phone that he knows it will help all neurological disorders just have to establish protocols. Point of research was on MS, Parkinson's, Stroke, and TBI, traumatic brain injury. Placed on tongue, remapping using nerves in tongue with aid of syliva. Effects last and coninute to improve and grow. I am not waiting for protocals or a new study or research. Find practitioner with PoNS and personal experiment to help my wife with Bulbar Palsy.

Frightening!

It could be more dangerous than the DPS turned out to be.

Peanut, MNDs including PBP aren't demyelinating like MS, not caused by the hypoxia of trauma or the genetic reprogramming of Parkinson's. There is no evidence that stimulating dying & dead nerves in MND will revive them. I see nothing on the Helius site suggestive of MND as a valid indication.

As Tillie notes, the DPS was based on a similar mechanism that has seemingly caused more harm than benefit in some PALS.

Yes, it is a very interesting device. As you mentioned it deals with several different and varied neurological conditions. In essence, it stimulates the brain's neuroplasticity (an area of science I've been very curious about for a number of years). There is even reference to a man who had a stroke and used this device to recover and ultimately died in a mountaineering accident. During an autopsy they found that the majority of his brain tissue was dead because of the stroke. But, due to the neuroplasticity, other parts of the brain took over the needed functions that were lost due to the stroke. He was able to regain function enough to climb mountains again (which I would very much like to do again as well).

Will this work for ALS? A while back I sent an email to the research team inquiring as to whether they plan on including ALS patients in their trials. They were kind enough to reply and informed me that they don't have any plans at this time. They expect the current trials done later this year and upon FDA approval people should be able to purchase it off label. I believe the price for the device will cost somewhere around $5,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back