Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Holly
My husband was diagnosed last September with als.

He recently has been concerned with some memory issues and has to really concentrate on mundane tasks.

Example when he gets up in the morning he always takes a shower immediately. He says now that he has to really concentrate on what steps he has to take, wash hair then gets somewhat confused as to what to do next.

Is this something we need to be concerned about? I don't see too many changes myself, and he thinks it might be age related. He is 58.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Shawnlee

That does not sound age related, but it could be stress related - the whole stress of dealing with ALS!

Up to 50% of PALS experience some level of cognitive changes.

You could just observe him for a little while and even keep a bit of a diary about changes that you think you notice, or that he notices. That would help you look for patterns. FTD is about changes that are definite patterns. It is progressive, so it will worsen, just like ALS is progressive. So making note now will help you kind of measure to see if anything is going on.

Usually it starts in little ways that are not terribly noticeable, but as it progresses, with hindsight you realise that there were subtle changes happening for some tim.

I hope that helps a little.

Thank you it does answer some questions. Will take better notice of changes

Thanks again.

Shawnlee

Shawnlee, just letting you know that sounds like my own husband who is 59. He's being tested, per his own request, for FTD on Tuesday. In addition to the cognitive changes, I've also noticed some behavioral/personality changes regarding impulse control, degree of empathy, filters--just not at all the calm, rational, peacemaker-type personality he's always been. (We've been together 32 years.) Have you noticed any personality changes? It's good to note those in a diary as well to discuss with the doctor if/when you get a chance.

My Chris started with vague personality/attitude changes too.

Shawnlee, the symptoms you describe are not age related. As others have stated, there is testing that can be done for FTD, if this is something you would want to pursue.

My husband also has some memory issues but I am not certain whether they are ALS related or secondary to a fall last summer which caused a bleed in the brain. AS Tillie said, if there is FTD, the symptoms will progress. I really can't see any reason to have my husband tested for FTD since it really wouldn't change anything. If it is FTD, I"m sure that will become evident by the progression.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back