Thread: Going it alone
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 09:54 PM #10 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

Marcia is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member (Say Hi)
Marcia is an unknown quantity at this point

Aahhh, so much to think about! There is the ALS, and the obstacles that confront him (us) in dealing with it. The place where dad lives is not entirely remote, he lives near a village that has a small hospital (that only sometimes has a locum doctor!) but in that hospital is a few extended-care beds. Most people there have alzheimers. So there is at least that, if he does not want to move out of the area and he gets to a point where living at home is too difficult. But I will also push for him coming here...as gently as possible.

I have discovered that there is an ALS support group in Nelson, an hour away. This is very encouraging, except Nelson is an hour away, on a very windy mountain road. But it is something! We will take our positives where we can find them.

In spite of the physical difficulites associated with the disease, it is the mental aspect that troubles me most about his welfare. How does one keep positive? The answer apparently lies within the family link, as you have all stated clearly. He can't do it alone. So one way or another, we will figure it out.

One question - What alterations should we expect to make in our house in order to make it workable for dad? I anticipate he will be in a wheelchair in the next few months. Unfortunately our house is quite small, but I think it will be ok, should he decide to come here.

Thank-you all very much for your thoughtful replies. I will keep you posted.

Marcia