How many were hit on the head/ wore a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumble

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
Minnestota
City
Woodbury
There are so many sports figures and veterans becoming ALS I have to wonder if any of you can remember being hit on the head, or wore a helmet.

About 7 years I cut down one tree and then cut down another tree. The second tree landed on the first tree, levered it then came back at me and hit my forehead. I had two black eyes.

Also about 1976-1980 I rode a motorcycle and wore a helmet.

Can any of you remember either being hit on the head or wearing a helmet?

Sandy in FL getting ready to move to MN

My dad is 79 and has been diagnosed with ALS now for 2 years. He has never had even the slightest of head injuries. Ask all you like but there is no connection between getting ALS and having ever had a head injury.

I'm almost 55 although some would say I'm bonkers its not because of any head injury

No to any of the above for me and family. But then for us we know it is our genetic defect.
I do not believe anyone has ever even considered the wearing of a helmet as a risk factor for neurological disorders

Repetitive ( emphasis on repetitive) trauma in some professional athletes has been and is being looked at. It seems to be an issue with dementia less clear with other neurologival problems. There is a theory that the ALS in the professional football players is not really ALS but a similar syndrome precipated by repetitive brain trauma. However the link is still being debated.

Looking for a cause for non familial ALS will make you crazy. Researchers look at many things trying to find answers that will lead to prevention and treatment but they have not found answers yet either

I had embolizations for an arteriovenous malformation in my left frontal lobe. Which is to say, I've had a lot of internal brain trauma as an unintended consequence of the many procedures to fill up my AVM. I am almost positive that this is the cause of my ALS. Hemorrhage in 2003. TIA (temporary stroke) 2009. Acute stroke in 2009. ALS onset in 2009. As you said there is a correlation between traumatic brain injury, NFL players, soldiers, and ALS.

I was an athlete, got drafted to play baseball, and had numerous concussions. Got them playing football, basketball and even baseball. I have read and hard that ALS may be higher in athletes, and definitely is in military personnel. Both groups often have head impacts during practice or training. I wonder if there could be a relationship in that area. I was only diagnosed in Feb. so I have not read a ton, but these bits I find interesting. I also have a very serious spinal cord injury which I know complicates things.

I know I was hit in the head without a helmet, but also got my bell wrung wearing one too.

Our doc said it seems to him there are a high average of athletic/healthy people with ALS, life that burns hot and fast so to speak. It rings true with Steve, not only scuba diving but cave diving, 7 miles each way back and forth on a bicycle to work each day, remodeled the house himself, basically healthy as a horse other than coming down with ALS. And I see over and over the Pals here statistically seem to be strong, healthy and VERY active/athletic people. Perhaps that is the connection with the professional sport figures, not a blow to the head.
or perhaps statistically the number of Pro athletes with ALS is the same ratio as the gen public but they have a spot light on them so the news goes 'oh dear another sports figure with ALS!'...... I sure glad they get the attention or we'd all be forgotten!

>Our doc said it seems to him there are a high average of athletic/healthy people with ALS

Meg, that is what I see, too ...

I was a strong, healthy and very active/athletic person before I got ALS. Maybe it's a way to humble us.

I was a strong, healthy and very active/athletic person before I got ALS. Maybe it's a way to humble us.

Me,too. I was particularly active last May and June right before symptoms began. I think that somehow triggered the onset.

In high school I got kicked in the nuts really hard...................I'm blaming it on that.

My pals played high school football and I'm sure he suffered a concussion once. My stepfather, who also had ALS, fell off a roof and suffered a concussion. Strange how I would have 2 family members with ALS.

Debbie

In high school I got kicked in the nuts really hard...................I'm blaming it on that.

HA! I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! :twisted:

Now about the female PALS....

Wish I had a dollar for every time I have been kicked in the nuts....I am sure I might have a nutcussion syndrome!

Attachments

• dogcone.jpg
    dogcone.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 196
OK I just couldn't resist. Sometimes the police would bring in a person that they had tazed to have the darts removed. Of course we got into discussions of the safety and training to use them, and they told me that they had to be careful not to shoot a man too low in the abdomen because their testicles could literally spin the the scrotum and then they needed surgery to correct it. I told them that I had it figured out with out surgery, they just had to shoot the guy it the butt and then they should spin back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back