Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
H
City
O
I have what I think is atrophy in my left foot. It is a very noticeable indent to the side of my foot (along the side of the big toe). I noticed this about a month and a bit ago. I have no weakness here. Can flex my big toe etc. However, recently I believe I am also getting atrophy on the outside of the foot (little toe side). I can't really see it unless I position my foot in certain ways. I think I can feel it from running my hand along though. I have also noticed this side of my foot hurts when running up the stairs sometimes (no a massive pain, a pain from pressure I assume). Even though these are areas of your foot that aren't always in use, would I have noticeable weakness? Does the slight pressure pain sound like it's leading to weakness? I have also had fasiculations in this calf, as well as rare felt twitches elsewhere. My doctor said it can't be atrophy because of lack of weakness? Would a Neuro be concerned of this?

I have two dents on both inner feet happened this year. Alos twitches all over and weakness
Neuro said the dents could be from structural changes in my feet
foot surgeon said there is nothing wrong with the structure of my feet . He cant explain the dents
I think im saying go to the neuro but dont be surprised if your dismissed. they seem to want to see very visible evidence
best wishes

I have two dents on both inner feet happened this year. Alos twitches all over and weakness
Neuro said the dents could be from structural changes in my feet
foot surgeon said there is nothing wrong with the structure of my feet . He cant explain the dents
I think im saying go to the neuro but dont be surprised if your dismissed. they seem to want to see very visible evidence
best wishes

Hi, thanks for responding. If it's ok to ask, did you have weakness in your feet before you saw the dents? If not, is this why your Neuro wasn't concerned?

Weakness precedes atrophy. If you're that worried see your PCP.

You would more than likely notice weakness when running up the stairs.

You would more than likely notice weakness when running up the stairs.

A slight pain when running up the stairs isn't usually a sign that weakness will begin?

It's true that a doctor won't spend too much time on somethin unless you're in pain or the issue is impacting your daily functioning. Id try to let itt go and see what happens. It's probably harmless, but if it starts impairing your physical ability you could circle back with your doc at that point.

I went to the doctor today about the wasting. He said it's very difficult to say if it's wasting due to its location as it is mostly bone there. He can however see the difference and the dent. He believes it just to be my foot and not wasting. Two other doctors have also said this. However, this morning I managed to trigger fasics on both feet along the side it has wasted. I have also noticed the fatty padbelow the ankle joint is also a bit flatter/smaller. I can flex the wasted bit in and outward
s. Would I be unable to do that if were wasted?

He also added it would be an unusual place for it to waste, as it is mostly between the tendons. Could this unusual and boney placing be why I have atrophy before weakness? Also, did anyone has wasting that their doctors said wasn't but the Neuro said otherwise?

Weakness came first for me. I was unable to walk without dragging my toes(drop foot), couldn't keep my clogs on. The Doc actually had to point out the wasting in my R hand. He and his student noticed it immediately while doing a general neuro exam. The fasiculations came much later, with the doc picking them up on the EMG of my L arm long before I was even aware of them.

3 docs say no wasting = good to go! :)

I appreciate everyones replies, but just to let you know i have uploafed some pictures of the possible wasting. It is along the inside of my left foot. Any feedback would be appreciated once again. If you search for my username on Youtube, lb76696, i have also uploaded a video where i flex the atrophied muscle inwards and out. I'd like to know your thoughts on whether ypu would be able to do this in an atrophied miscle. I can also flex my toe and i think this muscle is involved in doing that.

Note the picture quality is not very good.

Here is the video i made of me moving the atrophied muscle in and out by using my big toe. If this muscle at the side of my foot was atrophied would be able to move in and out like this?
atrophy in foot? - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back