Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
08/2023
Country
US
State
OH
Hi, I'm a male in my 30s and new to this forum. My family has had rare diseases before (my daughter died of cancer) so you don't know how important and valued I find forums like this.

Over the summer I injured my upper back doing some boxing like exercise - a month later in July I injured my lower back quite bad going way too hard on the elliptical. My primary care doctor was not concerned - but the pain has persisted, so I went to a ortho yesterday who did a nerve conduction test which he said pointed to pain in my last disc. I've also had horrible pain in my butt - which he DXed as likely sciatica. I have an MRI next week.

Just in the last week twitching has started in my arms/legs.

At the same time, I've had awful pain in the upper back the last few days and likely spasms. Typing makes my arms tired and I have tingling and carpal tunnel pain, trouble swallowing (feeling of food getting stuck), pain in the chest.

My arms both feel weak - but the doctor said insurance would only cover one MRI or nerve conduction test at time. So I have to wait for it happen for that.
I initially went done an insane google rabbit hole and convinced myself I had early symptoms of ALS. I feel insane thinking this because my symptoms initially got a lot better before I reaggravated them on a 40 mile charity bike ride (in 90 degree heat BTW). I also ran the next week (twice) six miles on a treadmill in 40 minutes.
But now the pain is so bad I can't barely walk.

Do people here think it would be worth also seeing a neurologist or waiting for those MRIs on the upper back and lower back. I think getting an EMG done would answer this is my understanding? But I'm not an expert - and also might have multiple herniated discs that could show.

I'm driving myself insane with anxiety around it.

The other note is my daughter died of a rare cancer (like very rare - they all with kids are by definition, but the kind of thing where you're more likely to get struck by lighting like 1/100,000) so have been that stat before - which I think has made the anxiety around this all soooo much worse.

Hello there-

I'm hoping you've read the Read Before Posting link by now. It's a pretty comprehensive post about many of the questions that bring people here. Your doctor is right in approaching this as they have- an MRI should provide you answers about back pain and give your doctors some idea of exactly where there could be issues. The results from the MRI would inform next steps. It really feels like you're flailing a bit here and planning ahead for something that is not necessary according to the medical providers who you are currently working with.

I'm sorry you're in a position to be worried and concerned about the infinitesimal chances of something rare or terrible. Your past experience with the loss of your daughter must be foremost in your mind, and entirely understandable concerns about your own health is causing you to revisit a whole world of trauma and loss. I am hoping you are getting some support for your very understandable anxiety.

Take care, and all the best with your MRI next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back