Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CT
I saw a GP via telemedicine who told me I would be better served starting with a neurologist. I tried to find a specific neuromuscular but think I would need a referral. I generally choose my physicians based on education, research, facility etc. but this time I took the first available appointment which is today.

I am looking for guidance on what I should be asking - what questions, testing, etc.

I am a 41 yo F and had baby #7 nine months ago. We found out a family friend was dx with ALS around Christmas. For about two months I really thought I had right sided weakness and felt clumsy and one night couldn’t hold my toothbrush with my right hand, etc. I decided to stop over thinking and stopped reading websites and all. My fears calmed

On March 31 I was sitting in bed chatting with my oldest and my right foot started twitching in the inner arch. This came and went I mostly tried to ignore it. I would worry and get anxious and then just move forward. However, the twitching is persistent daily now for about a month. I get random quick twitches elsewhere like in my calves, glutes, other foot, scapula. Today my right hand has been twitching between my thumb and pointer finger, physically moving my pointer finger. The GP said she’s referring to neuro as the twitching being so focal tends to have a more pathological underlying reason.

I am active and have noticed in my workouts that my right hip flexor is weaker than my left. I have had pain in my right thumb area for a year, assumed it was just arthritis given my rising age and family history. I’m over scrutinizing everything and find atrophy in my right hand and right leg and just step away and engage in my very busy home.

But thought after so long and now the twitching spreading it is best to get checked out but I’m incredibly nervous and not sure what I should be asking this doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back