Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
City
Warren
Hello everyone…I’m a 46 year old male and have been dealing with ALS like symptoms for nearly 3 months. Let me first say that I have a neuro appointment this week so I am hoping to get some more clarity.

About 3 months ago I woke up with weakness in my right hand. I noticed it when I was in the shower and brushing my teeth afterwards. I also noticed it was very difficult to button my shirt as I was getting ready. Also had trouble writing that day as I didn’t have the strength to hold the pen correctly. My GP sent me to see orthopedic and physical therapy. He also did comprehensive bloodwork and both cervical and brain mri…both were normal.

Therapy was going well and I was regaining some strength but no where near back to normal in that right hand. Two weeks after that I began twitching…. Not just in my right hand but all over my body. More annoying than anything. Also was accompanied by some mild cramping.

I saw the orthopedic shortly after that and said it definitely wasn’t als but carpal tunnel. I wasn’t really convinced (had been googling and scared to death leading up to appointment) so in order for me to have peace of mind, the orthopedic ordered an EMG. The EMG came back with what he said was definitively severe carpal tunnel. He recommended surgery to fix and I scheduled it for April.

About a month after I began feeling weakness and twitching more prominently. But it would come and go…I could go a day with hardly any twitching and the next day would be horrible with twitching. Cramping
Has also steadily gotten worse.

Today I still don’t have terrible weakness in my hand like the day I woke up with it but is still significantly weak. Some weird coordination issues seem to come and go but nothing to the point of falling. Just feels “weird” sometime walking. Twitching still pretty persistent and cramping has worsened a bit in severity.

As I mentioned I go see a neuro this week and am praying for some sort of clarity
And potentially some good news 🙏

I would anticipate good news. The idea of surgery would throw a lot of people for a loop, might interfere with your sleep, and that can manifest in twitching and jumpiness. Likewise, hit and miss nutrition/stress can contribute to cramps.

Try to take the edge off -- treat yourself to some experiences that take you outside your health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back