Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my plug for the seat elevator. On several occasions Matt has been transferred to a surgical table directly from his chair by elevating, raising legs and lowering his back to lay as straight as possible at the same height as the table. I've already put a sheet under him when I put him in the chair in the morning, so they just raise the arm back and pull him straight across. He is also treated by his dentist in the chair (elevated and tilted back). I can think of other instances where transfers were safer and easier because of the elevate function. It also helps when we care for him. I dress him in the chair, and my back is most appreciative of the elevate function!! Also, even fully paralyzed he Pat might appreciate being raised up so he can see over a crowd :). YOu know how people sometimes ignore a person in a wheelchair? Well, when you roll down the street elevated they get out of the way really really fast!!!

Of course, there are justifications and use cases for the seat elevator even in full paralysis, though ours were far more limited. But since Pat seems to have issues just getting a PWC I was keeping it semi-simple...

So Pat, I will amend my statement to the extent that you should go for it all in the rx order, but Becky et. al. that are with the VA will not have the issues funding the seat elevator that you well may. So I will stand by the proposition that tilt, recline and power leg rests are more important and shouldn't be optional for you.

Best,
Laurie

I don't see any reason why he can't have his doctor recommend every possible feature that could be helpful. That would be my recommendation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back