Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2019
Country
CA
State
AB
So a while back we got a ceiling track to use a sling in the shower. Great, except it didn't occur to anyone how we'd be getting past the shower curtain rod to get me on the shower commode (not to mention that the track doesn't actually go over the toilet, and all these other issues that didn't come up until now when we actually want to use it, but I digress...). Our OT is supposed to come over to practice using the sling with us but I don't see how that will work.
I was hoping someone here could provide some solutions... We are definitely not taking the rod off and putting it back on every time. Are there rods that can swing outward? A telescopic one that will keep all the rings on while it's detached? Our bathroom is stupidly small and we don't have a walk-in shower even though we asked our contractor to do it. I have a bit of a phobia of showering because of how difficult it currently is to get in and out.

Yes there are swing away shower curtain rods. I googled swing away shower rods and got a mixed bag of hits. The best was called swing shower curtain rod for wheelchair users but it was over 300 US. There are also swinging curtain rods that are cheaper but you would need to find one that was rust proof

I'm wondering if something like that can even be built, like putting a hinge on one end, and some sort of receptacle where the end of the rod can lock in. I also saw that $300 rod (thanks for searching!) Either way, it'll be an investment. We'll either have to modify the rod, or remove the little barrier on the floor between the shower and the rest of the bathroom so the shower chair can be shimmied in and out of the shower.
When we did our bathroom renovations 3 years ago, we kind of lacked the foresight of where things would be now. Which is understandable in a way, but now we're at a critical point and we don't have the modifications we need because of shoddy planning. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed right now...

Since shower curtains are pretty light, you might be able to find a mounting solution that does not require a rod, like hooking into two mounted clips, one at each end.

Or, there may be a means of water containment that does not require a curtain, like a plastic divider.

I like the clip-in curtain idea. Don't know if I would have thought of that. A divider of some sort is definitely something to consider as well. Thank you so much!!
I have a meeting with my OT about this in a few minutes. I will update if anything significant happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back