Diagnosis
05/2023
Country
US
State
TN
City
Brentwood
I had a g-tube placement about a month ago. I'm still able to eat a modified diet but recently have started to slowly introduce supplements through the tube. Kate Farms is what Vanderbilt recommended and we had some free samples sent to us. Since using Kate Farms (just 50-100ml per day) I have started to experience some GI issues. Something doesn't seem to be agreeing with my system.

I started looking at some companies that offer meals that have chicken/turkey/salmon as the base protein and fat. I feel these may work better for me but not sure if they offer the nutrition needed as my only food source when I can't eat anymore. I can ask the dietitian at ALS clinic about that. Do any of you guys have experience with Whole Story Meals or Real Food Blends? Any other recommendations on companies that use meat as a source of protein and fat in their powder? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yeah, I knew others have had issues with it. Thats why I was wondering if anyone had tried the 2 i mentioned in my post or had found others brands that had worked

We haven’t tried either of the ones you mentioned yet, but I did check out the website after Laurie recommended them. Before the feeding tube he was drinking Kate Farms nutrition drinks as a supplement. When he began to switch to primarily formula (with the feeding tube) he said he felt jittery after having Kate Farms and I realized the sugar content was probably too high for him.

My husband gets Liquid Hope (as I mentioned in the other thread that Nikki copied) and he does well on it, with no GI issues. He also eats two-three small meals a day by mouth. I am curious about supplementing with the Whole Story meat ones and I might order some and add them in.

I'm new to a tube and started with KF Standard 1.4. It was brutal. Gas, bloating, etc. I can't eat so I was stuck with it. They finally moved me to their Peptide and what a huge difference. I still feel very full after each feed so I'm down to just 2 bottles per day. I'm significantly paralyzed now so I think that's plenty. I do find that with the tube feeds, I have much more energy so all in all, it's been great. But the Kate Farms standard was awful. I have no experience with anything else. Good luck

Just wanted to follow up and say I started using Liquid Hope HP formula and have had no issues with it. I'm still able to eat a modified diet but use the LH for one meal a day and will transition to more as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back