RickyR

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi all

I have tried to reply to my original thread but can’t for some reason, so I have linked it below (can a moderator please link)?

By means of update, in the hope it may help others. I attended a private appointment with a neurologist tiday, who discharged me without concerns. She stated that the hyper reflexes and clonus was not of concern, and was likely to do with the fact I was born premature, and had probably had it all my life (id never heard of this before!).

She stated that the cramps and twitches where almost certainly linked to exercise, although she suggested a test to rule out benign cramp syndrome, but that this would likely come up negative. She suggested a change of routine in exercise and to increase stretching.

Of particular note to those concerned of twitching (which included me), she stated that ALS patients often don’t feel their twitches, and that they tend to be more subtle and don’t effect large muscle groups as noticeably (I may have misunderstood some of this).

In short, I worried myself sick for months because I threw twitches, cramps, hyper reflexes and clonus (I have 3-4 beats, on one occasion 5) together and came up with ALS. My anxiety clearly exacerbated these symptoms. My advice for all is to stay off the internet until you know what you’re dealing with, and listen to experts (even if it means spending money on a private referral).

My final point before I (hopefully) leave here for good is to express my utmost thanks and admirations for those on this forum, trying to help others. You are incredible and any chance I get to support ALS sufferers and their carers, I will take.

I hope this helps others out there.

Thank you for the update and glad to hear your neurologist confirmed what we said about your limited clonus and hyperreflexia not being red flags for ALS

Thank you too for posting a link to your closed thread as we do not reopen closed threads

Best of luck and a long and healthy life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back