Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
VC
Hi all,

I understand that you must get a lot of these questions so I’ll try to keep this brief.

Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been experiencing some very constant tightness and spasticity in my right leg with associated twitching. I understand from the ‘read before posting’ thread that twitching is rarely the first noticed thing but I hadn’t seen much mentioned on general tension and spasticity in the leg (please correct me if I’m wrong or confusing definitions). It feels much like a painless cramp and can make the leg feel heavier.

Along with this I have seen an increased tremor in my hands, particularly my pointer fingers on both sides.

As for weakness, walking up steps felt different to normal but I do wonder if perhaps it was simply due to my added attention to my movement and strength.
I did however notice that over the past couple months when lifting weights my dominant arm now seems to fail before my opposite, despite appearing bigger.

I do apologise if what I’m describing is same old stuff and I’m aware that I am quite young for the disease but I can’t help but wonder if ALS or other MND’s ever present like this early on?

Hi and sorry you've found yourself here-

First off, spasticity is a very specific type of issue that can only be diagnosed by a person well versed in how this particular neurological problem is expressed in a body. Have you been diagnosed with spasticity by a doctor or other healthcare practitioner? If so, what were their thoughts on possible causes and what are next steps?

If you have not yet been to see a doctor, that is your first step in figuring out what might be the trouble. They may have some feedback for you once they've made a clinical examination- until then, there's not much to be gained by asking about ALS, as it's not clear what you're experiencing is neurological.

~F

Hi and thank you for the reply,

I’ve seen a GP about a week ago and have a neurologist appointment in about two months. My GP wasn’t majorly concerned and put my mind at ease a fair bit when she suggested that it could potentially just be an anxiety related issue. The wait between now and the appointment is kind of taking a toll.

For context I was experiencing certain other symptoms at the time that led me to suspect something neurological and visited the doctor fearing MS. As the anxiety of these fears faded, so did my symptoms. However the ones I described have remained and the tightness has progressed. If it provides any extra light, the tightness and twitching tend to worsen with stress.

I’m afraid I have to follow up.

Today I sat on a chair and tried not to move my legs for a long period of time, both legs started shaking around and twitching uncontrollably after not too long, right leg in particular tightened up around the knee area and just above. Twitching and tightness has now been present for 22 days, despite it being slightly less effecting in terms of tightness yesterday. I’ve been trying to fixate on it less and I presume that’s why.

As I type though, the left knee section is tightening as well. Growing increasingly concerned, the wait between now and the neurology appointment is providing a lot of stress.

I have heard though that Als twitches will not present until there is also some level of weakness with it. It seems that I can still run and jump and move just fine, maybe with a bit of balance issues but my mobility doesn’t seem immediately affected, however it feels my legs tire much quicker from movement and also I can’t stand for very long without my legs wobbling and my knees needing to buckle in. Is this commonly associated with weakness of the ALS variety?

Not really. My bet is at least to an extent, this is about your mind playing tricks. And trying not to move for a long period isn't going to help any stiffness or twitching -- our muscles are made to move. To say that you are thinking of it less and then that you tried not to move -- well, you see the contradiction.

Not sure what you have heard about "ALS twitches" [sic], but feeling more wobbly with twitches generally is most often an artifact of the twitches and your concern for weakness, not actual weakness or a precursor to same. Definitely widespread twitching (and most else that is widespread) points away from ALS.

I would try not to worry and move where/when/how you want to move. Do something fun, go somewhere interesting, interact with others (safely). I really don't think you have ALS or anything like it. However, sleep, stress, diet, hydration, stretching are all potential levers through which to improve how you feel and how bothersome this all is.

Hello and thank you for the response,

This does put my mind at ease a fair bit and I appreciate it.

I must say, I have seen a lot of your replies to threads in this forum and I am deeply happy people like you exist. You and people like the user ShiftKicker (who also replied to this thread) who have a tendency and commitment to helping others out are admirable to say the least. It wouldn't be completely unjust to shoo off every overly anxious poster like myself who concern themselves with the idea that they might have a disease as beastly as an MND. But yet, you have been kind enough to lend assistance and not only try to help me find the root of my problem, but to also offer ways to tackle it.

Thank you both,
Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back