Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hey everyone I am just going to cut straight to it. I have been experiencing muscle twitching and weakness for the past almost 3 years I went to the Mayo Clinic very early on when it was more of just twitching and they did not find anything but now I have weakness and my muscles have shrunk considerably but that is not why I am typing this.

Over the past 2 weeks I have started having major issues swallowing. Now I am not referring to globus I know what that feels like and this is totally different. I am an avid soda drinker usually drink around 4 cans a day and now it’s like my body won’t let me drink like I’m forced to take small sips and if I try to do larger sips it almost makes my throat cramp. Also the second this started like on the right front side of my throat near the bottom where it’s close to the shoulder the muscle just doesn’t feel right. It feels weak and it’s constant discomfort as soon as I wake up it’s there. I’m not sure if it’s connected to the swallowing but it happened at the same exact time.

Does this sound like bulbar at all? And lastly if I did have limb onset wouldn’t I need to have substantially more issues walking and moving for it to progress to the throat like this? I know ALS works different for everybody but would love insight thanks.

I'll cut straight to it as well. We are not in a position to differentiate your feelings of swallowing difficulty and muscles that don't feel right from "the normal you" from afar. But your PCP is. What you're describing doesn't sound like ALS, but it could be lots of different things, from GERD or an ulcer to cancer. Or nothing.

See your doc.

Back