Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Ninja, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm sure they all understand to some degree, and so do we. Your situation sucks, no question about it. You are dealing with a lot (children, working, caregiving) and ALS is no happy situation for either CALS or PALS. I cried every day for the first six months. I haven't been to a support group either; my PALS is progressing slowly but it is still awful regardless and I am also a sole caregiver (no kids). It's up to you if you go back, you don't have to if you don't think it helps you. No one who hasn't experienced ALS first hand really understands, so whether the forum or a support group is more helpful to you is your call. And I hope that you will be able to get some caregiving help if you need it.

V

Ninja I too remember the moment I realised Chris was rapid progression and it was a shock as I think at diagnosis we grabbed hold of 2 -5 years and I just presumed we had a good few years to make memories, live with it, and get ready. My Chris was gone 11 months after diagnosis.

I now help run face to face meetings where both PALS and CALS attend, and to be honest that awful experience of the first one I attended has helped me to help others, as I really do understand just how awful it is xxx

Something that has been helpful to me when I’m overhwhelmed is doing regular weekly floats. There are quite a few places where you live. It’s a water sensory deprivation and it’s pretty great for relaxation meditation and just alone space

Ninja, please don't feel awful that you cried at your first meeting or if you cry at them all. Get it out! At least you went. My PALS , my 47 year old brother, did not want to go to any group meetings or even clinic because when he saw other PALS that were more progressed it saddened and scared him looking towards the future ( not to mention it was a 2 hour and 20 minute ride). As well it's been seven months since he left this earth and I still can't go to group grief counseling for fear that the huge lump in my throat that I try to fight off will end up opening up the flood gates in front of everyone. I'm like you. Sort of a recluse so am not comfortable with anyone watching me crack. I choose to crack right here in front of my iPad with you lovely people and no one has to witness it! Maybe someday I'll be able to face people and talk about him. Today's NOT that day.
While I wasn't raising kids when caring for my PALS he had 2 boys ages 13 and 11 so I would have them a day or two a week and every other weekend. It did seem to add a lot more of a workload when they were here but was well worth it as my brother was happiest when they were here. I can only imagine the load that you carry full time. Your family is very lucky to have you.

My response will differ.

I saw something else.

Ninja, in parentheses you wrote "my PALS wont let me get help."

I don't want to interfere in your marriage, but I do want to invite you to see something that most folks don't want to admit.

You will outlive him. You will be the "surviving spouse."

When he is gone, you will still be raising children (with no help), running a household (with no help), and trying to make a good life for all of you (with no help).

If you haven't already, you need to plan for that, do the paperwork, make the arrangements, and get ready for that.

What should you get ready for? Should you get ready for a life wearing black, with a veil, a widow recluse in mourning? No. I suggest that, if you haven't already, you should spend some time every day getting ready for the next life with the job you want in the location you want, having the fun you want, even dating.

It is bad enough that ALS will destroy one life. Don't let it destroy your life, too. However you handle it with your PALS, you get to get the help you need.

Ninja,

I went back and re-read your original post after reading Mike's response. What reason did your PALS give you for not letting you get help? I ask because you need to get help and the help you need will increase as your PALS progresses.

One of the first things I would suggest is that you get a cleaning service, even if it's only once or twice a month. If money is the issue, start a go fund me account or ask friends and relatives who have the means to chip in. I've helped take care of my brother financially since he started coming to Florida in 2010. Unfortunately, my resources took a huge hit with all the expenses of this disease so I'm no longer able to help as much as in the past.

It isn't too early to make a list of things that will help YOU and your PALS. Then when people call and ask what they can do, give them some items on the list. Things like grocery shopping and babysitting come to mind.

When I was first diagnosed I set up a Lotsa Helping Hands site so my friends could volunteer to drive me to appointments and do other things. When I fell and couldn't walk or drive for nearly six months, they did all the driving and pushed my transport chair into doctors' offices. Another friend grocery shopped for me once a week.

diagnosed - I've heard floats are relaxing, I just wonder if I would feel claustrophobic in those little pods, (dark/small/enclosed). I'll look into it though, thanks.

Jlynn - thank you for your kind words. I hear you on the flood gates, seems safer to keep them closed tight and locked up sometimes...who knows what is on the other en. I too will let it out sometimes at home, alone, after everyone is asleep while going through this forum, then cry to sleep and then wake up looking like a puffy mess, lol. I want to ask you, hope it is okay...do you feel that the anticipatory grief and sadness you went through before has helped ease the pain after he was gone? I often wonder that by feeling so horribly sad now, that it might be a different/maybe easier grief. I know it will be different, but maybe alot of tears have already been shed so it wont be so bad. Just wondering what it is like on the other side.

Mike - I appreciate your move on and live life attitude. I definitely plan on that as guilty as it feels sometimes. Just picture travelling again or simple pleasures like eating in a restaurant or sitting in a park. I can picture giving myself some time for myself and kids to just be in our pj's and be a mess for a bit and then try to work with a new normal and hopefully move on to living with the living. My PALS has little empathy and has told me that there should be no issues for me to do everything on my own and honestly thinks that he has very little impact on daily life for us. Obviously, we all know how physically, emotionally, mentally taxing this stupid disease is and it indeed time and life taxing. He also is private and wont let anyone else but me help with changing, bathroom, shower, etc. I have thought about just getting the help and see if he could just get used to it but I'm really trying to respect his wishes and let him have some control over his situation (as hard as it might be for us on the other end). Maybe I'm making a mistake, I'm not sure.

Kim - thanks for the helpful suggestions. My PALS doesn't want any visitors, doesn't like anyone visiting/sitting with him, so babysitting help is hard if he doesn't want them in the house. He almost can't talk and me and the kids are really the only one that can understand him, so I think he feels the pressure to say something back when people sit with him and talk. I told him they can just hang out, be here if you need anything and just watch tv with you. He won't drink much and be thirsty just so he wont have to pee and all around is more stressful for him. Not sure if its worth asking people for help and I find it really hard to assign or think of specific things people could do (within my PALS parameters).

Ninja, you can leave the pod door open so you don’t feel trapped- that’s what I do and you still get the full experience- at the place I go the whole room is dark not just the pod.

My response is going to differ, too.

I don't think caring for a PALS always permits spending time every day planning for the post-death future.

Maybe I just had less to plan for -- due to Larry's pre-existing genetic disorder, we had and I have zero ALS-related benefits of any kind. But I think my perspective differs beyond finances.

Getting help or caring for yourself so you can take of your PALS every day is one thing. Feeling like you need to plan for the future, past basic necessities like the PALS' Will, power of attorney and advance directive, is a burden that CALS should shoulder if it helps them deal with the present, but not if it doesn't.

We live in a culture of "if you can dream it, you can do it." But there are some respects in which that is not true.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back