Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
IRL
State
Leinster
City
Cavan
I use NIV, a Nippy 3+ a few hours every day. If someone is nearby I'm fine but when I'm alone I get anxious and panic to the point that I want the mask off but I'm unable to as I can't use my arms.
Has anyone experienced this?

at first I had some anxiety but that quickly went away as I needed niv 24-7 to live

Hi do you ever feel the need to take the mask off?

nothing natural with wearing a mask to breathe, but when it is a matter of survival you can adapt to almost everything

That's very true. Hey I've just spotted you got your diagnosis at the same time as me. Well done on surviving so long.

thanks. I spent about three years 24-7 on niv. Had a trach since September 21.

Ginger, you might want to speak with your doctor if you're having panic attacks. Even though some meds might make you breathe more shallow, they could get you over the hump of panic.

How did you find the niv? Did you have any anxiety?

Thanks KimT. I just do not feel confident wearing the mask using the niv and I panic. Sometimes I am fine for two hours and other times I need it off after two minutes.
Have you ever seen this before?

Maybe try a different type of mask. The ones that only go in your nose might not cause the panic. Talk to your doctor about the anxiety. I think the more you use it around people, you anxiety will lessen until you feel comfortable wearing it alone.

I did have a friend who couldn't get used to it. When she needed it to survive she began wearing it.

I think many people don't like it in the beginning. Another issue that comes up is the settings are wrong and need adjustments.

Also, all PALS will need settings changed as the disease progresses. Your RT can help you with the settings. Don't be afraid to pester your health care providers for assistance with settings and with the anxiety of wearing the mask.

Back