Diagnosis
03/2023
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi, bulbar onset, 68 yo, eat and drink via g tube only, walk very little, use walker or wheelchair.
Constipation issue, i use Miralax daily, it was working well, but now i can’t get my muscles to push.
What else could help this? Thank you.

Aside from medication abdominal massage in a circular motion will help stimulate the intestines. We also had a member who found the pressure of a gait belt in that area helped

Colleen do you have a bidet seat on your toilet? You can use the force of the water flow to stimulate the area and almost work as an enema.

Actually, we just installed a bidet toilet, I’ll try it. Thank you.

Nikki, i will try massage, thanks

I use miralax also but sometimes have to take 1 or 2 fiber Smart capsules. Those always work for me, sometimes to much so.

I have to use stool softeners (Colace Clear), psyllium (careful if putting down a tube because you need plenty of water with it but I know some PALS with tubes that do use it. I also use Fleet glycerine suppositories (the liquid ones produce a BM within minutes.). I also have a bidet toilet seat that helps.
I'm taking several meds that cause constipation so I have to be proactive. In 2018 I had a painful fissure and don't want to go through that ever again.

I contacted my ALS clinic to question a change in urinary frequency. I immediately thought, UTI, but it was not that. My Doctor said, for women, when we are constipated, it puts pressure on the muscles used while urinating. Huge problem for me so I'm going all in with Miralax and probiotics. I am dismayed to hear bowel and urinary muscles ARE effected by this disease. I was under the impression just about the only muscles NOT effected by ALS were bowel, urinary and eyelids. I'm disappointed but have found a comfortable female urinal connected to a tube and collecting container. (I no longer have the strength to toilet myself.)

Add in Digestics. You can find them on Amazon. They'd be in addition to Miralax.

There's a product called Harmony on Amazon. I had urinary pressure in 2018 and started taking this. Been good ever since.

I can't stress enough how well the glycerin liquid suppositories work. It's been a game changer for me. Even on days when I don't take psyllium, stool softeners, or magnesium they work for me.

Inactivity will cause constipation regardless of any other health issue. So will lack of water intake. Many of the older people in my condo forget to drink water and get constipated. I have them set timers to drink their water and it usually helps them.

Excellent tip from Kim about ample water for Miralax to work. I began having constipation while using Miralax. My doctor assured me that the consumption of a lot of water was necessary. I then doubled my water and soon I needed to reduce my Miralax dosage, it was working too well!

I use senna and docusate daily. The meds, plenty of water and some tube feed have helped me. I don’t have the ability to bare down to have a bowel movement when I’m constipated.

I'm completely paralyzed except some very slight head movement . I have had a trach since fall of 21. Feeding tube only. 100% vent dependent. Tried many things. Settled on manual digital extraction every four days. Not pleasant but you get used to it. The benefits are no accidents , very predictable and less work for caregiver. Regular blood work is all good. This is only what works for me. My wife changes the feeding tube every 3-4 months and trach tube every 4-6 weeks
my diet is as follows:

*early 300cc water
**9:00am 1.5 can isoscource = 562cal + 180cc water
**2:30pm 240cc water/120cc juice(100cal)
**5:30pm 1.5 can and isoscource= 562cal + 180cc water
**9:30pm Night 80cc water
Total: 1225cal + 1100ml water
also supplement vitamin d

Back