Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
TX
City
Allen
Hi all. I discovered this forum while looking online for conditions that could imitate ALS. My current neuro thinks I may have ALS but wants me to seek a second opinion at a top center in Texas. At this point I do not know what to think. Obviously I hope my neuro is wrong.

I am a 49 y/o male who is in fairly good shape (running 3 days a week from 3-10 miles each time).

Early 2014 went to my GP for my yearly physical and while there I mentioned to him that I had noticed a loss of grip/pinch strength and coordination in my non-dominant left hand (I had some cramping and minor muscle twitching but did not mention it at that time). My GP ran me through a battery of physical tests and after some time said he wanted me to see a neurologist. He had three in the area he liked so I picked one, who amazingly enough could see me within the week.

I went to see the neurologist and gave him my symptoms and after a small battery of physical tests, he said the though it was carpal tunnel. I was a little skeptical since it was in my non-dominant hand and since I had absolutely no numbness or tingling but I am not a doctor so I let him do his job. He asked if I wanted him to perform an EMG to confirm the CTS and I agreed. He did the test on my left arm and then my right (no trouble in my right so I guess it was the "control") and when he was done he said that I had moderate CTS in my left wrist and mild in my right and ordered me to wear a wrist brace for 60-90 days. I did this religiously for the allotted time, only removing the brace when I bathed, washed dishes, or went running. So all in all I wore it 18-20 hours a day, including when I slept (supposedly that is when most people do the most damage to their wrists).

I went back after 90 days and the neurologist asked me how my wrist was and I told him that it felt worse, weaker...maybe from not being able to use it in the brace. He ran the physical tests again (adding one or two more) and said he could not really see any difference between my two arms/hands in strength. He was still very sure that it was carpel but if I wanted he could run some blood tests and an schedule an MRI on my neck just to rule out some things. So I agreed. I continued to wear the brace but only at night. No improvement.

After the test results came back my neurologist called me into his office to discuss the results: No pinched nerve in my neck and the blood test came back normal except for a slightly elevated muscle enzyme, which he said could mean anything.

It was on this visit that he noticed the muscles in my left arm twitching and asked me how long that had been going on. I told him that it had been going on for a few months but I never thought much of it. He then asked me if I had any cramping and I told him yes, but I just though maybe it was an electrolyte issue or running related. He did his battery of physical tests again and made a face. He seemed very concerned at this point and asked me if I would consent to an open (not needle) muscle biopsy (that was fun...not).

Long story, made short I had that done and got the results back and the pathology was inconclusive but it did state that there was "moderate active denervation atrophy". On my follow-up visit, my neurologist said that he was more concerned now (where when I first came in he thought I just had CTS) and wanted me to get a second opinion as he believes I may have ALS. He looked at my face and asked me to position my tongue in various ways and he stated he can see issues there as well. Again he ran his battery of tests and said he could now clearly see a big difference between my right and left hand/arm in strength (of course I notice the coordination/manual dexterity the most)

He has ordered more blood tests but since the lab he uses is out of network for my insurance I am going to have my GP (I have my yearly coming up next month) order them from his lab (in network) and send them to my neurologist.

Over the past 10 months or so I have gone from having some difficulty using my left hand to open things to at times not being able to use it at all. Zipper food storage bags are a real pain to open and close, as is buttoning my jeans or using my left hand to button the right sleeve of a dress shirt (I actually cannot do this so I have my wife do that one). When you look at my hands, the left hand has a lot less muscle mass, especially between the thumb and the index finger.

I am still very active (walking/hiking/biking/geocaching) and I still run (I competed in my first Half Marathon in October 2014) but I now notice that during a run my legs feel heavy and I am not getting my feet as high off the ground as I used to. This morning I actually tripped and fell for the first time.

The twitching has spread to my chest and right arm and some in my legs. Cramps appear out of nowhere in my hands and oddly enough, my diaphragm. My left hand is still the major problem with the cramps turning it into a claw at the drop of a hat. Typing can be a problem.

My Symptoms:

Loss of grip/pinch strength in left hand (initial complaint). This has gotten much worse over the past 9 months.
Atrophy in left hand/arm -
Fasciculations (left arm/hand, right arm/hand, chest, diaphragm)
Sporadic, Intense cramping of hands, feet, arms, diaphragm

I have to admit that in the beginning I feared the worst in thinking I had ALS (my mom's best friend died a couple of years ago from ALS...it advanced very rapidly for her) but after reading all the stories on this forum I am not sure anymore. I am beginning to wonder if I have a couple of things going on...maybe BFS and something else?

The other thing that I am still confused about is the EMG. I had one on my first visit to the neurologist (early 2014) and he said I had carpal...could he have misread those results or could it be carpal and BFS or something else entirely?

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with low vitamin D and put on 3000 IU per day which helped my foot cramps a lot at that time (I did not have any of the other symptoms I have today). I have nor have I ever had any other deficiencies that I have been made aware of. I go get a physical every year. As a matter of fact, my GP says I am one f his healthiest patients (in regards to BMI, BP, weight, cholesterol, etc).

I go see "one of the best" neuros in the state (UT Southwestern) in February. He specializes in ALS. I hope he can give me some solid info.

Well, that is my story to date.

Texas [my former home],

Based on what you have presented, it is possible that you have ALS, as your neuro stated. At UT, they will do a repeat EMG/NCV, another exam and likely with your hx that will all tell the tale. There are other differentials that may apply to you, that progress more slowly.

Meanwhile, I would get a copy of the EMG (assume an NCV also?), MRI and muscle bx you had done already and bring an extra copy for UT though they should request your records. Record release doesn't always happen as it should. The same for the labs; it can be valuable to see what has been done and also possibly repeat some of it.

Perhaps Dallas-area PALS will chime in w/ their experience of Southwestern. I seem to remember someone at least has gone there.

I wish that I could be typing that you probably have nothing to worry about. Instead, I have to say that if there are any major life decisions you were planning to make in January, I would postpone them until you have more information. But I would not sit at home and worry, but do the many things it sounds like you enjoy.

Some people here would advise you to buy life/disability insurance before your clinic appt. Since you have sought medical advice for the sx at issue, that makes ALS or any other finding a pre-existing condition. That said, if an opportunity arises to buy non-underwritten products such as membership organizations like AAA and even your workplace may offer, where you can answer any questions truthfully and not be disqualified, that might be something to consider. Your wife might be able to add to her spousal coverage, also, if/as applicable.

Enjoy today, tomorrow and every day that comes along. Whatever you come back to post later, we will be here for you.

Best,
Laurie

mcw I'm sorry to welcome you here, and don't mean to sound rude when I say I hope we can tell you to go away in Feb when you get the second opinion.

Sadly in truth I can only say that your story sounds like ALS progression, if only we could make that clear to the twitchers on the DIHALS section. There is still hope they will find something else, you know that, but you are also being rational by the way you presented your introduction.

Try to make the most of every day you have in the meantime. Hard as it is, try to focus not so much on the appointment coming up but what you can live today.

don't go the carpel route....have seen results of that....wait for more testing...

I am sorry and I too hope for other answers.
Re the blood work. If you have a restricted network you may want to research the blood tests. Some of the tests may need to go to specialized labs. I had an insurance that would only pay with prior authorization even though the in network labs did not perform the tests. They can be very expensive i know two of mine were over 550 and that was the insurance discounted rate!

I appreciate all the comments. The last thing I wanted to be was a "chicken little" and think that ALS was the only thing this could be.

As for the blood work, I am pretty sure I can get any test I want ran, the question will be be how much of it is out of pocket. I have my yearly with my GPP next month and I am going to ask him to order every test he can and have those results forwarded to the current neuro and Dr. Jeffreys in Dallas, whom I see in Feb.

As for the carpal, while I am not a doctor (and I do not play one on TV :) ) I was doubtful of that in the beginning simply because I know about five people who have or have had it and all their symptoms are the same and of course that would not explain the intense cramping and twitching, but I wanted to give the neuro the benefit of the doubt and let him do the analysis. I am trying to be as methodical and rational as I can. I see no benefit of acting on emotion. I am a man of facts...or at least I try to be.

I do not take it personally if I y'all tell me to go away in February...that would be a great gift! However it might help if the diagnosis does come back negative, that I can be someone that you all can point the twitchers to, to show them that that not all twitching is ALS, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it n February.

One last thing, my neuro asked me to start taking creatine (to help retain muscle mass)...has anyone else been asked to take that?

My sister took creatine She stopped it at some point I think because all the fluid was inconvenient as she progressed. But I have same neuro and it does not seem to be on the current list of recommendations ( but I did not ask) I know there was a trial of creatine vs tamoxifen a couple of years ago. Think they were equal in efficacy ( or non efficacy)
My point about lab tests was not that you should not have them but you indicated some labs are out of network for you and wherever tests are drawn they may need to get sent to out of network labs because they are not done in network. My blood has had to go to Mayo ,u of Washington and Athena which was ok as long as it was approved first by the insurance otherwise I would have had to pay.

This could be a dumb question but could any of this be possibly linked to a severe form of arthritis as well? Wishing you the best of luck. Kim

This could be a dumb question but could any of this be possibly linked to a severe form of arthritis as well? Wishing you the best of luck. Kim

I do not think it is a dumb question. My GP and the first neuro ruled out arthritis pretty quickly but that is not to say that they are right.

As a matter of fact I asked my GP if it could be arthritis (common in my family) but he ruled it out (and I cannot remember why...sorry).

That is good to know regarding the tests and the labs.

Right now after taking creatine for about a month I have not seen any benefits but it seems to make me urinate more...none of the normal side effects seem to be hitting me. Most people say they gain weight taking it but I have been stable in that area.

DK what your dose is -- can be hard on the kidneys. And won't stop nerve damage so not sure what the point is. As Nikki said, not generally recommended these days.

I can only guess it is to help slow down muscle loss. I am not a doctor...just listening to the neuro.

Dosage is 1 "scoop" of a Six Star X3 Creatine, 8000 mg blend of creatine HCI and Creatine Monohydrate.

Still have not gained any weight like I was told I probably would. I eat 2500 cal/day on non-running days and eat 2500 cal/day PLUS whatever I burn during my workout (500-1000 cal). 5'10" / 165 lbs.

Welcome to the forum. It is a great source of information and understanding. All the best with the diagnostic process. It can certainly be a long and arduous road to travel.

Cheers,
Stephen

Mcwtig, this is just a thought- My hubby was also an avid runner, worked out several days a week, etc. If, indeed, this is ALS, you may want to cut back on your running. It will speed the progression, make falls more likely, and the fatigue is not good. Know you want to stay active but--- listen to your body. Pushing through when you are healthy is fine but with ALS,not so fine. Exercise that will be good for you is range of motion activities. Good luck. We all hope it is not ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back