Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
The straps on Jim's AFO's have worn out. Lost the "sticky-ness", from all the pulling on & off I guess. They would "pop-off", therefore loosening the brace, and he would buckle & go down!

Tried looking for replacement velcro but couldn't find anything wide enough to hold.
Finally went online- can't order directly, but filled in info & the company called back. They sent out a new set of straps free of charge!

While there, noticed they had something called a Comfort Kit- the lining/padding on the actual brace. Little thicker then the one it comes with, and there is a "channel" down the front to keep pressure off of the shin bone (where he was getting sore). This must be ordered directly thru the orthotist. Haven't done that yet (nor do I know the price- sure this isn't free!) but he is going to do that.

Just a little FYI to any who might have similar problem!

Thanks for the tip :) my R one always slipped off of the plastic (thing-y?) whatever that is called, but now I have a new afo for rightie, so I'm no longer using it.

The new brace was causing me lots of problems chafing at first. I tried wrapping my leg in just about every soft wrap to no avail, tried wearing two pair of cashmere socks; no good.

On a whim I tried 3" wide sports tape wrap, the type that sticks to itself. (I'd originally bought it to use to cover up the blue strap over my instep which shows when wearing jeans, make it less noticeable when going without socks) and did it ever do the trick! The texture of it gripped my leg, and was thick enough to shield it from rubbing.

Oh, about the strap popping off, that can really hurt, this summer I thought something BIG stung me, and it was just the snap of the strap coming off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back