CALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
Hey everyone,
I know this is probably a pretty silly question, but I was wondering what everyone else does for their PAL once they are unable to sign their name anymore. Most of the time I have just signed T's signature for her, but soon we will have to go to an appointment where she is required to sign her signature. Do I need to get a power of attorney, or is her holding my hand as I sign her signature enough? I know, I know, I probably need to get a power of attorney anyway by now, but we've been lazy at acknowleding that. Please let me know your experiences... this is a pretty important appointment and I can't seem to find anything on this govt website about accomodations for people who can't sign. And you know how the endless computerized menu options are when you actually try to call a government agency. Thanks!

By the way, T is still kicking and fighting and doing very well. Her legs are shrinking though :( The good news is that her last blood gas test for CO2 was near the level it was when she first had the test 2 yrs ago (was 48 then and now 51). About 6 months ago it was all the way up to 58... so he doesn't know how to explain the decrease and told us to just keep doing what we do. What we do is she exercises for an hour almost every morning before we get her out of bed (just range of motion and some light force kind of stuff like her pushing up on my hands with hers for example), she eats at least 3 times a day as much food as possible, prays a lot, and has as much fun as possible. I think the having fun part is so important... have as much of it as you can for as long as you can.

God bless all of you...
Pam

Pam,

You will have to get a power of attorney. I cannot talk understandably to outside people so, even though I can still sign my name, someone else has to talk for me. The same thing applies for me as well.

Pam,

It may be too late for you, but not for others... My husband got a signature stamp when his handwriting started to deteriorate - from bad to really awful! It has been worth its weight.

He uses it on checks and wherever else he needs to. It is one of those self-inking ones, so all you have to do is push it down.

Lynn

Hi

This is what we have done.

My wife is my PAL. Once we accepted the reality of the diagnosed, we did several things right away. 1. Reviewed our wills, and 2. Got a Power of Attorney 3. Health care proxy and a living will.

When you get the POA. make sure it is explained what rights the grantor is giving. In our case, we dod a blanket POA. In some cases you may want to restrict some of the authorizations. I have a friend who is an atty and he did it for us. We had a notary witness the signing of the POA. Even if you PAL's signature is barley legible, the Notary makes it official.
When you get the POA make sure you get a bunch of copies and deliver them to your bank and any other place where your PAL does buisness or has accounts soley in his/her name.

Even though we had the POA for the last 18 months, I have just recently started signing things

What else I have done so my wife can still pay the bills she has always paid is set up online banking that our local bank offers. This way she can use the computer to pay bills, send checks, etc. While I don't mind doing it, I think has helped her hold on to one more bit of independence.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much everyone... guess the power or attorney will have to be done asap. I think I will try legal zoom and I know someone who is a notary... thanks again :) I like the stamp idea too... but I think this signature thing is going to require signing an electronic pad thingy. Thanks again :)

Hi Pam. Great to hear you and T are still doing OK. Don't recall seeing you around for a while. Lee just signs my name most times. She does have POA.

AL.

Lynster- I love the idea of the signature stamp. Where can I get one made for my husband? Also what does one need to do to get POA?
Thanks.

I also use a stamp. If it's electronic, somebody else signs my name

What has happened to signing with only an X..... is that still acceptable? Witnesses would see it done.

Marjorie,

A drawback of using an X is the PALS has to be present. My Mom and I have DPOA for Dad and this has helped Mom and I run errands for Dad.

The Durable Power of Attorney has health care incorporated into the decision making process and is valid even if a person becomes incapacitated - this allows you to be the person's guardian rather than pursing through the court system. The Power of Attorney covers only financial and legal proceedings and is not valid if a person becomes incapacitated.

In my state anyone can draft a D/POA and have it notarized but consulting an attorney is recommended, especially if you have family members that may come out of the woodwork so to speak during a crisis. Trust me I worked in a Trauma unit and you would not believe what the hospital had to go through at times to figure out who the decision maker really was, baffling.

My .02.
Dana

What has happened to signing with only an X
Plan B: What to do when you can no longer do that or you are in the hospital. Have someone that knows your wishes and has your best interest at heart.

We have a Durable Power of Attorney, an Advance Health Care Directive and Wills. When you loose your speach, due to the privacy laws such as HIPPA, insurance companies, brokers, etc. will not speak to anyone other than you unless they have a copy of your POA on file. Some organizations do not recognize the POA and require different documents. We were shocked the first time Medicare refused to talk to me on my husband's behalf!

Hope Faith,

I saw your request on the Caregiver section, but thought I would add the info here for you. We live in a small town, but even the smallest should have an office supply store or printer. Most of those will order a rubber stamp for you. All you need is a signature in black ink on white paper. They send it off and voila! there it is.

So, let your fingers do the walking and ask about a self inking stamp.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn! I will call and ask our local office supply store.

Durable Power of Attorney

Durable Power of Attorney That is what I have for Tim. I have had to use it in so many different ways. A rubber stamp would not have done it. There are issues that come up that he cannot take care of that gives me full power. So I get no grief from people when I have to use it!

Lorie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back