Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
CA
City
Suburban
There's an old (closed) thread that mentions the EZ Lift electric wheelchair and another, the Zipper, but I'm wondering if anyone has used a portable power wheelchair and what their experience has been. The EZ Lift with the joy stick now has a deluxe model with a 5-position adjustable back and an optional head rest as well as leg lifts and extensions. My PALS cannot walk far (gets out of breath and his torso is getting weaker) and his scooter is way too heavy and cumbersome for travel. But he's not really ready for the full power wheelchair yet. (We're transitioning with baby steps.)

Does anyone have any experience or ideas about the portable wheelchairs?

I skimmed a list w/ specs on line, and the heaviest piece weight seems like would have the same issue as the scooter for cumbersomeness. With a weak torso, not having a tilt function (a 5-position back is not the same, obviously, as that is "recline," which is often a much less-used function in ALS) would make me wonder how good an investment it would be. By the same token, getting in and out of a vehicle without a mobility device is obviously going to be increasingly difficult.

You say "not really ready" for a PWC, but your copay for one is going to be likely similar to or greater than the portable chair so it's like paying twice...maybe you can demo something locally. The useful life against the price and true portability would be the major issues I would see.

If your PALS was diagnosed just 2 years ago and now needs part time use of a wheelchair, I really question the financial implications of continuing to go with "baby steps" in getting a power chair. If he can afford it, the temporary use of a travel chair would be alright, but he will soon need a full featured power chair and a vehicle for transport. Insurance will balk at paying for both. More importantly, it takes an average of six months to get a properly configured chair. First you wait for an appointment to be evaluated for a chair that will be adaptable to your needs as ALS progresses. I strongly recommend going through the MDA/ALS clinic for this evaluation because they have experience with ALS and with the paperwork process. Then you wait about another two months for doctors signatures, and approval from Medicare/insurance for the purchase. Any glitch in the paperwork will delay approval for months. Only when the paperwork is approved will the chair actually be ordered and built. When it is finally delivered to the wheelchair provider, it can take a couple of appointments to get the chair set up and tuned to the users needs. Also allow another week or more for actually using the chair at home and out and about before signing the final paperwork accepting the chair. Then the purchase of a wheelchair equipped vehicle begins. Not all wheelchairs fit in just any vehicle.

So, based on a guesstimate of his progression, your PALS should really be starting the process of getting a full power chair now.

Laurie & Diane, all your points make absolute sense. I had so hoped to postpone the huge expense of the wheelchair equipped vehicle by getting something more portable and something easier to fly with. Guess that's not very realistic at this point. My PALS can still walk 3/4 mile (I think he's really pushing it, though) and so he thinks he is nowhere near needing a wheelchair, but when we try to get out or travel, 3/4 mile won't even get us to the boarding gate or much sightseeing.

He agreed to a preowned scooter, but it's not portable, extremely heavy and doesn't break down easily. I had to spring for a ramp to help me get it in & out of our Santa Fe, but even that's not easy, and I can pretty easily lift 50-60 lbs. I guess the bottom line is that he's happy with the scooter; I'm not. I'd be OK with getting moving on a PWC; he's not. Was hoping the EZ Lift Cruiser would be a compromise. But ALS doesn't allow many compromises as it marches on, does it? :(

Thank you so much for your good advice. You've just saved us a few grand.

Hi we sound like our husbands are at similar points in this disease. My PALS, bulbar onset, can still walk, but not far or for long and we still travel quite a bit. He has been using an EZ Lite cruiser and it is wonderful! We got it used, but can be bought for about $1,800 new. It weighs about 50 pounds and folds up easily so I can lift it in and out of the car in a snap. He does not yet need head support and is quite comfortable in the chair and is using it more and more often because it is so much easier. This baby step was perfect for him as I think he will be much more willing to go for the full fledged power chair when necessary. He also has a small mobility scooter (also used -he loves to get a deal) and that works well too, but he seems to really prefer the EZ lite. We went to his ALS clinic appt in August and the PT there said that many folks do an intermediate step like we are doing. She said that insurance will only pay for one chair so that we should wait a bit longer so that it can be properly fit to him. Honestly, the interim step has worked well for us.
Tracy

Tracy, thank you for sharing your experience with the chair. Yes, our husbands do sound like they're at similar stages. Mine is also bulbar onset. I've been looking for a used EZ Lite but can't find the deluxe. (My husband is pretty big and needs the larger chair.) It could still be worth it if we could find a good deal, but maybe not if we had to buy new, considering how short-lived its use may be. I'm so glad to hear how well it's working out for your husband, though, and that it's simple for you to handle. Sounds like a good product. Thanks again for letting me know.

One thing to remember- if you buy new, fitted for your hubby ( the ideal Pwc) it can take 8 weeks to get it, so you are not too soon. My hubby was also bulbar, but when walking became more laborious danger of falls happened quickly. Either way, better to have it on hand because the need can be there quickly.

Cheerleader--Thanks. I'm taking the good advice here and asking at next clinic to get the process going for the PWC. It does sound like a lengthy process. While I'm anticipating some resistance from PALS, I'm hoping clinic will be used to that situation and be willing to pull through with it. A son will be attending as well to share observations, so maybe that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back