Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
These were discussed on the forum elsewhere. Here are some close up pictures if you're interested in making your own. If you want to try ready made, follow post #3 within the thread on the general forum titled "peg feeding support site".

I've only been using them a couple of days, but I do like them a lot. They keep the bumper from moving as much, are more comfortable than gauze, and don't get rumpled like gauze, plus, they look better too.

(yeah, that's me modeling one 8) )

Attachments

• reusable peg pads.jpg
    reusable peg pads.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,227
  • peg reuseable pad.JPG
    peg reuseable pad.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 479
And you're a loverly model too Rose! These pads are a great idea! Thanks for all you do. xoxo

Nice Rose, very pretty and functional. As always you really are so helpful! :)

You all are absolutely welcome. This forum has helped me so much, I could never give back enough!

So, it became apparent to me that the eight pads I ordered were not going to be enough so long as I'm having to treat the peg site throughout the day. I didn't think I should put a used one with some crusting on it back on the site. (yuck) Hence, I broke down and tried my hand at making some. They are so easy! really, if you sew at all, you can do this.

The fabric I chose, and have the following picture of, had a design a little bit bigger than what would fit on a 2.5" disc, so the diameter of the pads are slightly larger than the ones I purchased. - And I still ended up having to cut off part of the elephant's ear and front leg.

To get the same thickness as ones I bought, it seems to take two layers of a thin flannel, and a piece of terry sandwiched in between. I cut up an old washcloth for the insides. I think if I'd had thicker flannel, only two layers would be necessary.

Making the pads are simple, truly not hard at all. 1)Find something round that is the correct diameter, 2) trace around it onto the fabric with a pen. 3)Cut out the fabric discs following the circle you just drew. 4) Put all the layers together and use sewing machine to sew around the entire perimeter with a zig zag or similar stitch. 5) Use sharp scissors to make a single cut to the center of disc, and then cut a small circle out of middle for the PEG tube to go through. 6) zig zag the cut you just made, 7) Sew a small piece of velcro for fastener. I had one of those velcro "dots" and I cut it in half, and used for two pads.

If you are a CALS and your PALS has a PEG, think about the possibilities, The fabric stores around here have flannel that has all of the major sports leagues themes... not that just the guys love sports (right Ms Pie?)... (go Steelers !) (and Lions I guess *sigh*)

On the topic of sports, I just ordered Ernie Dog a tag for his collar, that is yellow and says "Terrible Dog" (a play on the Pittsburgh "Terrible Towel") Very apt for him. 8)

Attachments

• peg pad directions.jpg
    peg pad directions.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
I am not a sewer Rose, but these are what I was going to order for Bruce off the webcite you posted...Thanks for helping me..

Rose, You might just have a business started!

what a great idea, thanks.:D

Hmmm. This has made me think.... I wonder why some drs say to use gauze under the stopper and others say not to.
My PALS dr says not to. So we dont. Any thoughts on this?

Bruce's oozes so we need something

My pals's (is that right Pals's?) doesnt really ooze, but he still gets pussy stuff and crusty stuff under there. they just told us to wipe it clean with a warm washrag. He's had his for many years and it still bleeds from time to time. Im wondering if some drs say no because the goo can dry to the gauze and then irritate the site when pulled off. I dunno

This thread is an outgrowth from one I started on general discussion forum, with some links for sources on PEG care, etc.

Showing the flannel pads here, it was not meant to infer that some sort of pad needs to be used for everyone. Just that, for those who are having a good bit of seepage, there is an alternative to the gauze squares. The flannel is more absorbent, so it keeps the site drier (which is important healthwise) and, of course replaces one more piece of medicinal in appearance paraphernalia we find ourselves surrounded by. I think they also would be useful for when its hot, keeping a barrier between sweaty skin, and plastic disc (It doesn't look like I'll be using them for this purpose anytime soon. As I type this, the snow is falling like crazy. I'm looking out on the deck, and there's a few inches of white stuff covering it!)

For those who read a thread started by me a few months ago, the subject the importance of correct FVC testing, I wrote there how one of the things that had made me drag my feet over having the PEG placed, was the prospect of the site never entirely healing. Because, that was what I thought it had to be like... that everyone with a PEG always had some drainage, crusting, blood, etc. Several people took the time to reassure me that the PEG site can actually completely heal up, that it doesn't have to be like that. Tom (Tmasters) even generously offered to post a pic of his for our viewing pleasure.

After I got my PEG, I did run into complications, I developed an infection, spent more than a month on antibiotics. Therefore, when the infection cleared, and I started with the granulation tissue ordeal, I was determined that somehow, I'd really get past this, and get mine to look as good as Tmasters does (( 8) ))

I've had good luck using the miracle mist to treat the granulation, very minimal crusting at only one place now, and, for me, using the pad under it, even though its currently not soaking up that much, it allows more air circulation, It also helps to keep it more stable, and the less wiggle, the less irritation, helping to break the cycle of triggering more granulation formation.

I actually think my bumper needs tightened up, but right now I'm so happy to not need to be seen by the doctor, that I'll let it be. A few days after surgery the visiting nurse loosened it, then a couple of weeks later the doctor tightened it back up, and now the bumper has loosened on its own again. They told me to keep note of where the bumper was in relation to the numbering on the tube itself, that this was the way to know if it is slipping, and mine has moved half the distance to the next number again.

Last edited:
P.S.... (before I start getting helpful messages lol) I got brave and tightened the bumper myself. easy peasy lemon squeezey 8) Previously this was painful to do, but, that must have been due to the infection.

This is a great idea and very creative. We have used a similar but disposable option for years. I don't remember how I came up with it. I think I ran out of guaze and needed something in a pinch. Anyway, we buy the regular length panty liners. I cut each into 3 circles with a slit and hole in center. I don't worry about something to hold them. They stay pretty good without anything. I place them with the absorbent side down and the waterproof side up.

I agree, that is an excellent idea ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back