assisted living

1. L

Panicking...how do I do this?

Hello I am new here so Im grateful to anyone who takes the time to respond. I am not yet a caregiver but will be here soon. My mom has ALS or PLS the doctors cant seem to decide. It is progressing wildly. She is in a wheelchair, has lost fine motor control in her hands and is having trouble...
  2. A

Pls or Als?

I'm new here and just got the devastating news that my dad may have pls. He had brain and cervical spine mris, nerve conduction test, and emg. Neurologist is guessing pls as nothing else makes sense. He's referring my dad to another neurologist at uc irvine, dr. Mozzafar who has the equipment to...
  3. F

Cannot eat

Hi everyone, As hard as I try, nothing sounds good to eat. I was suppose to get a device that would feed me while I slept, but it never came. When I saw the doctor last Friday, he was shocked that I did not get it. Everyone was pointing the finger at everyone else. In the meantime, I've...
  4. M

Dad has ALS

I posted already in the general discussion forum but I should have started here. I am a new full time caregiver of my 82 year old father who was diagnosed last year. It probably isn't technically ALS but a motor neuron disease very similar. I have just this month become his full time...
  5. M

Dad has ALS and dementia

My dad has als and I am now his caregiver as he no longer qualifies for the assisted living facility he was in. He has recently begun showing signs of dementia and spends all night trying to get out of bed. He is currently in the hospital due to a fall because of a fall from his bed and has to...
  6. F

ALS and living alone-concerned

Hi everyone, I had the contractor come out to give me a bid on remodeling my bathroom to make it wheelchair accessible. Not surprisingly, it is very costly. I live alone and am processing all my options. I've lived in my house for 21 years and would really like to stay here. Right now, I'm...
  7. Jackfishem

Refusing to shower (hygiene question)

My mom was diagnosed with FTD in early 2014 and ALS in late 2015. She lives in an assisted living facility. A couple weeks ago, I was able to get her qualified for hospice care. With hospice, a nurse comes twice a week (home health was only every other week) and a CNA comes three times a week...
  8. R

Mom 89, with ALS

Hello:My mom was diagnosed in April/May, last Jan she was still driving, now pretty much confined to w/c. She has been having a lot of pain in her legs. Mostly what I read is that ALS does not have pain, but that each person experiences different things. She is on hospice now, taking...
  9. Jackfishem

FTD/ALS Checklist Questions

Mom was diagnosed with FTD-PPA in early 2014 and ALS a couple weeks ago. She rarely speaks, but can answer yes or no questions somewhat easily. With mom's limited verbal skills, I am concerned that I may miss things in her disease progression. Mom is in an assisted living facility and is still...
  10. S

Assisted living?

My brother has ALS and is now in a wheelchair. Transferring him has become more difficult as he loses strength, and he has been dropped a couple of times. There is daily CNA care, but it doesn't extend to evenings. His wife works full-time, they have a young child, and the stress level at home...
Back