financial

1. Tomswife

Grants to help with caregiver costs

Some of the ALS ASSOCIATION Chapters have grant money to help PALS/CALS with the cost of caregiving. We received $2K from the NY Metro chapter. There was an application, and I had to submit detailed invoices that show per diem charges. It is possible that other ALS foundations can support...
  2. D

trach questions

I would like to hear from any pALS or cALS who are living with a trach. I understand the medical and technical side of it, but I am interested in hearing the nitty-gritty ramifications of living with all of that at home. The real stuff. How do you staff, are there lay person family members...
  3. T

Worried about the future

Hi, yes I was doing better. Now, I’m so worried about the financial security of our family. Before this, we had a plan for retirement, college, etc. My husband earns almost twice what I make. How are we going to survive when he can’t work? And, how will we make it once he is gone? He has life...
  4. Kristina1

Trilogy cost

A cost question here. When they came out they told me my insurance is paying 85% and I'm paying 15%. My 15% comes out to 178/month. That means insurance is paying $1008/month, and together we pay $1186/month. I asked for how many months until we own it, and she said no, no chance to own only...
  5. A

Introduction

Hi everyone, This is my first post. My father was diagnosed with ALS at the end of June. He is 73-years-old, and the whole family has been in shock because nobody had any clue something this devastating was going on with his health. This was truly a shock to the system. Of course, we are still...
  6. Buckhorn

Sorry to join this club ...

So, this is my first post here since Dave died. It is now 3 weeks since his death. We had a beautiful memorial service / "celebration of life". I know Dave would have been mortified at what a fuss I made. I just wanted to celebrate the life of the man I loved so much. Funerals & memorial...
  7. J

Maybe ALS?

Hi guys, My name is Julia, I have not been diagnosed with ALS, but have had these symptoms. In Late April I started having clumsiness and heaviness in my legs where it felt like I had elephant feet. Initially I had some numbness from my chin to my knees ( I know this is not a typical symptoms...
  8. S

Help please---- need advice

Could you help us understand a Dr's responsibility to a patient when a drug like radicava is approved for treatment. We don't know if my husband- who has slow progression at this time - should begin treatment. Thankfully -we have great medical insurance at this time- so finances aren't the...
  9. Clearwater AL

Decisions...

(I questioned whether to post this or not. Some may take it wrong but it may bring some conversation to this sub-forum. And… I’m not sure what sub-forum it belongs. Mods… move it if need be.) This is about decisions many of us face. First, I no seek of sympathy, Ann and I have been very...
  10. E

Needing some guidance!

Hello All. I’ve thought long and hard before posting this as I’m very much aware of the daily struggles a lot of you here face. I am however finding myself on this site more and more frequently and feel untill I have my questions answered from people with real life experiences - only then will I...
Back