va benefits

1. K

Optimal living situation- financially, emotionally, spiritually etc

My pALS is my mom. She is newly diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS. As of now her mobility is not impacted too much, just her speech, swallowing and breathing. We have been discussing living arrangements as her mobility and breathing decline. Other pALS out there, what did you decide? Did you...
  2. Clearwater AL

Possible scam alert...

This possible alert goes to Veteran Members and other members here too. This morning I received a phone call from a TriAlliance Community Service (I think that was correct name) saying the VA referred me to them. I don’t think the VA refers their patients to civilian services. Here’s how the...
  3. S

I'm Hoping to help veterans with ALS

My dad recently passed after a 2 year battle with ALS. I was his only relative, so by default became a caretaker. I spent hundreds of hours on VA benefits and my Dad's wish was for me to help others. I found PVA and DAV in my area to be of very limited help. They basically got me started and...
  4. butlertl

VA benefits Rating

I currently have an R1 benefits rating from the VA. What is the requirement for an R2 rating? Thank you.
  5. L

ALS and VA benefits

I don't know if anyone has applied for VA benefits, but here goes. My husband Jim died of ALS in July, 2002. This past February I was told that the VA was taking applications on behalf of the spouse. My husband was in the Army Reserves for 6 years and spent from April until July working in a...
  6. S

Early Bi-Pap

Hubby had an episode of extreme (even more so than usual) fatigue for about a week. On Thursday he would not eat or drink anything and laid in bed all day. Friday morning he was short of breath...not gasping for breath but not able to take full breaths either. We went to the emergency room at...
  7. starente15

Maybe this can help someone

Since diagnosis last year, my parents have had a lot of difficulty accepting the situation, which is understandable, and have often been quick to say no to things without understanding or explanation. A month after his diagnosis, I told my father about DPS and how it might help him. I brought...
  8. starente15

VA Benefits Questions

Hi everyone! Just returned from 10 day visit with my parents. I had a few questions on VA benefits that came up today and can't find anything on the sticky or web. Wondering if anyone knows... My mother said she is entitled to free additional insurance through the VA which doesn't affect the...
  9. Broken down Cowboy

2nd Post I little advice appreciated

Hello Again, I've a few things I'm wondering about concerning requests I'll need to be making from my doctor for prescriptions. I ain't rich. I am insured by medicare and a AARP supplemental policy. So far it's paid 100% of my bills to this point. Also, I am told that I am not eligible for...
  10. Mediasmart

Non-VA Benefits?

My wife and I are both over 65 and take SS. We also care for her mother, 95 and Parkinsons, and lives with us. My wife has developed seizures in the last two months and is not well, pretty much confined to the house as these seizures render her unresponsive for as much as 3 hours. I am still...
Back